Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hawke Scopes

Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hawke Scopes

Hey guys, I just bought a brand new Savage BVSS in 22-250. 26 inch stainless steel fluted heavy barrel with a lamanent stock. It's a shooter. (I'll put some pics up when I get on my computer as its too difficult from the iPad). I got a chance to take it out with a 6-20x50 barska scope that I bought from a gun show used for $30. It took me about four shots to get it adjusted at 100 to hit the bulls eye.

I shot a box of Hornady 50 grain performance vmax shells and after the four sight in shots, I put the other 16 within a two inch circle. It was difficult to distinguish shots as most were right on top of each other. Now I'm not a great shot as I rarely practice other than preparing for deer season. I bet typically I shoot less than a box of shells per year! (I want to change that and get this gun dialed in to be both my range gun and coyote killer).

While the Barska scope did a good enough job at 100 yards for a totally virgin barrel, I'd like to improve the glass.

I've looked at the nikons both the monarchs and coyote specials. I'm leaning towards the coyote special with bdc reticle, as the monarchs are a little high for my price range. However, I have looked at the Hawke scopes as well and was wondering your opinions. They claim to be the best selling scope in Europe and have been around for 30 plus years. Anyone ever had any experience with these scopes? When you can get a 6-24x50 for $300, it makes me nervous but there are a lot of good reviews out there for them.

I know that people to say to spend as much on your glass as you do your gun, but the gun came in around $1000 once I added the hariss bipod. As a 26 year old guy I was lucky enough to convince the wife to let me spend my birthday and heist as money on it when I had that 1000 laying around the house, can't really justify spending another grand and not buying her something just as expensive....

Thanks for our input!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone? Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

My local gun store owner has known a distributer out of Fort Wayne for years and about 4 or 5 months ago started carrying the Hawke line-up along with the Bushnells, Nikons and Leopolds he nomally carries---says he did a fair amount of research on them [they were a well known and respected maker of air gun scopes in Europe for years]. The two I've tried are very impressive, excellant clarity-good magnification and I really like the cross hair style that is etched into the glass---the ones I've had both handled the recoil of an 06 with no problem and held zero --- my only complaint was the length, no problem on the bolt actions, but somewhat too short for my 1's---other than that, they seem to be a very good scope for the money---John
Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks! I've looked around and really can't find anything bad being said about them....