Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Quick morning hunt...found dinner!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Spike

Default Quick morning hunt...found dinner!

I have taken up bunny hunting. I love chasing cottontails out in the hills! I'm having a gal pal over tonight for dinner and wine, and I found the main course!

This was my first time doing the "gutless" field dressing. Instead of skinning, gutting, then butchering, I just peeled the skin off the legs and popped them off (the hind legs with the backstraps). I certainly am not quick at it yet, but it was much less time consuming than what I was previously doing.

Here's the successful huntress with her prey, haha. And the other picture is the result of my last bunny. Braised in a white wine and garlic sauce.
Attached Thumbnails Quick morning hunt...found dinner!-0101.jpg   Quick morning hunt...found dinner!-0041.jpg  
Old 02-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Youre doing better than me! I scared up four this morning and didnt hit a single one. Gonna try again tomorrow as its the last hunting weekend for us here in Ohio.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

wow got me wanting to get into rabbit hunting..... pretty work
Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations PN....and some Cool Pictures to go along with it!

You need to try the Coyote/Predator Hunting....I think You'll enjoy that as well!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

I just saw this. Awesome! I have been wanting to try rabbit for a while now. Looks amazing!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Spike

I used to hunt bunnies, with a pack of 10" beagles, but got away from it. The yotes, fox and feral cats have wiped out or rabbit here in my area. I raise squirrel dogs noe (mountain feist and mountain Cur). I hope supper was as good as it looks ..
Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Spike

Default Good Stuff

Hey There,

Indiana rabbit season can't get here fast enough! Great photos,your smile and finished product say it all.....LOL.

Regarding the gutless method, some folks I have shown the video wondered if the entrails were removed before the "procedure" was filmed. I don't think so but wanted to learn from someonewho has tried it.

Gary
Old 07-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nineoaks2004
I used to hunt bunnies, with a pack of 10" beagles, but got away from it. The yotes, fox and feral cats have wiped out or rabbit here in my area. I raise squirrel dogs noe (mountain feist and mountain Cur). I hope supper was as good as it looks ..
It seems in the state where I live, you can only find good rabbit populations in built up suburbs, where they thrive even with the dogs that kill tons of them, as well as foxes and cats. You go out to the more rural areas, with no feral dogs or cats, and you find very few! The only ones I've ever shot were while squirrel hunting, and boy are they good!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Spike

Where I live in NYS the feral cats have wiped out the bunnies. But the last few months here, I have seen dozens of Cotton tails all over my property once again, I think this is because of the mild winter we had here in the north east this past winter & a mild & rainy spring so far,but now I will be looking for this one roaming feral cat on my property, & when I do I will CCI Stinger his Butt.