Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Eradication in Kansas

Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Spike

Smile Coyote Eradication in Kansas

Looking for areas to access for the sole purpose of eradicating coyotes either on farms, ranches, or deer leases. A lot of deer hunters and ranchers welcome help in lowering the population of coyotes and want to help the survival rate of fawns and calves. My partner and myself are long time hunters that have never received a so much as a jay walking ticket. We respect landowners and the permission that they allow us to hunt on their property. We both have been raised on the farm, are still linked to farming, and live in a rural area. If any one is interested they can reply with posts or i will provide my email if they would like to contact me.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Since the wolves have been on our hunting land the coyotes have disappeared. Now the cougar we had on our land this year might take care of the wolves. Then the Wisconsin DNR can figure what to let loose to take care of the cougars.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

warbirdlover---SSS, LOL!
Old 02-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately the state if Kansas failed to pass a bill last year that would allow coyote hunting without a license so it will run an out of state guy 72 bucks or there abouts.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Spike

Back to the top
Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

"...eradicating coyotes..."

That's some high expectations !

You better break-out every trap you got + poisoned bait.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're going to find that if you buy your license and just "go ask landowners", you'll probably get permission without any problems.

On the other hand, almost all of us (rural kansans) have a plan to either deal with coyotes ourselves, or have a son, uncle, cousin, nephew, neighbor, etc etc that are coyote callers. There's always SOMEONE in the loop to hunt coyotes on pretty much every acre I've ever been around, which includes pretty much every "region" of KS.

So you're probably not going to get any response by hanging out your shingle. Kansas farmers are usually willing to ALLOW coyote calling, but I'd say that if anyone NEEDS coyotes taken care of, they already have a system to do so.

If you REALLY want to hang your shingle out there, then I'd recommend you apply to become a Nuissance Wildlife Damage Controller in the state of KS. This puts you on a public list that Kansas Dept of Wildlife and Parks will refer anyone with problem animals to call.

Frankly, the way things are going with deer leases around the state, it's even getting hard to find acres as a local. I've been "bumped" off of patches that I've hunted for over a decade, because the guys that buy the lease for deer hunting don't want coyote hunters in there, even after deer season (Fine by me, doesn't hurt my feelings if coyotes tear down their fawns and hurt their chances for a hunt in the future).

There are even guys offering "coyote leases", can you believe that? The idea is that they are a step between a "do-it-yourself" hunt, and a "guided hunt". They scout and keep tabs on where dogs are showing up, then let guys come out and call them for a nominal fee. Frankly, I see this being a great system to educate coyotes to avoid calls.

Good luck with it, but I gotta say, I wouldn't hold my breathe for someone to respond "yeah, we got way too many coyotes, come on out".
Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Frankly, the way things are going with deer leases around the state, it's even getting hard to find acres as a local. I've been "bumped" off of patches that I've hunted for over a decade, because the guys that buy the lease for deer hunting don't want coyote hunters in there, even after deer season (Fine by me, doesn't hurt my feelings if coyotes tear down their fawns and hurt their chances for a hunt in the future).
This^

OP, I've contacted a few people who lease land for deer hunting after Nomercy advised me to. Most were very blunt in their denial-if they even responded. Makes it tough, but keep looking. If I can't find any land in the next few days I'll be on some public, walk-in land.