Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Need some advice on improving rabbit cover >

Need some advice on improving rabbit cover

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Need some advice on improving rabbit cover

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need some advice on improving rabbit cover

I put out a Christmas tree out in my field for the rabbits to hide in. My question is, is it better for the tree to be in a area of lower, thinner grass in order to improve that area's cover, or improve the taller, thicker area where they already hide? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you pile some dead branches all around the tree it will help to fortify it & make for better cover. Best to put it amongst other thick cover.

Good job !!!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

The more " junk" the better. Old log piles, christmas trees, stumps.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Rabbits seem to like the messiest cover around. I'd put it near the thicker grass, on the edge of the thick stuff. Pile other branches as you get them. I like to make my rabbit areas longer piles... rather than stacking it up high. Make it low and long and plenty thick the rabbits will use it.
-Jake
Old 01-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I moved the tree into a thicker area where I have seen them and know they live there. Sadly, there's not enough of them around to really hunt, hence trying to build up their population.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

If you can get good habitat for them, they'll multiply. Six or seven years ago, I'd never see a rabbit around the house. Built some brushy areas for them and stopped mowing the field and now it's not uncommon to see six or seven in the yard at a time. The field gets cut about three times each summer, rather than weekly. (Saved gas money and brought the rabbits) They like it thick. And you have to keep predators away. Shoot the coyotes and strays that you see around. Stray cats can put a hurting on the rabbits too. I don't hunt the rabbits right around my house. But I've got a good population currently and it's because of habitat.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know several guys the will pick a spot and throw down a 4 X 8 wooden pallet,then throw a bunch of tree limbs down on top and build up a decent pile for the Rabbits,they have a good secure place to hide and the openings on the pallet make great paths and hide-a-ways for them.When we cut wood down on the Farm we pile up the small tree limbs so the Rabbits have a place to hide in the open Timber,I have plenty of pictures on my trail camera's showing the rabbits are doing well with the new found cover to protect then out there too....heck the Rabbits are doing great around by the House with all my old Pontiacs to crawl under too!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

All critters live by their stomachs.My advice is plant some food plots first then worry about the cover.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. What do you recommend planting Bernie?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmm...Rabbits are short...plant some Brassicas and Foraging Rape,Turnips and raddishes...thats what we plant on the Farm and at the Hunting Lease!They also like Lettuce too....and Clover...that (clover) would be a good crop for the Deer and Turkeys too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.