Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Rimfire only for coyotes, would YOU pass? >

Rimfire only for coyotes, would YOU pass?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rimfire only for coyotes, would YOU pass?

Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rimfire only for coyotes, would YOU pass?

I know the "debate" gets kicked around here a lot about whether .22lr (or even .22WMR) is enough gun for coyotes, and I think we'd all agree it isn't ideal, but I went on a hunt last weekend that brought up an interesting question.

If ALL you had was a .22lr, would you pass on calling coyotes?

I was visiting my dad last weekend and he suggested we should go call come coyotes since we were both home. My brother in law was there as well. Since it was a spurt of the moment deal, all we had with us were our coon rifles, all 3 of them Marlin 60's.

Of course, it wasn't perfect, but my brother-in-law was pretty adamant that we "couldn't call coyotes" because we didn't have enough rifle. He wanted to go along, of course, but he wasn't going to bring his rifle because it was too underpowered. My sister, on the other hand, took his rifle and came along (3 shooters, 1 guy running the call, heck of a party right?).

We got skunked on our first 2 sets and had 2 dogs hang up at about 200yrds then blow dodge on one of the other sets, but we got 4 dogs that afternoon. My dad and I both got one each, and my sis knocked down a double (her first).

At the end of the day, it was a great hunt, and a great time spent with family, and even though all we had were Marlin 60's with CCI Mini-Mag solids, we dumped 4 dogs in their tracks.

In general, if all I had was a .22lr in the closet, I probably wouldn't be eager to go call coyotes very often, but in a pinch, it sure was hard to argue. Granted, we had all of them inside of 100yrds, and had shooting sticks for support, but even at that, we didn't feel very "limited" while we were hunting.

So would you pass? My Bro-in-law sure would have, and he'd have missed out on a good day's hunting (still kicking himself for not bringing a rifle).
Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think a good accurate 22LR Gun will take down a Coyote with good shot placement....and if Your using a hollow point bullet for more expansion.The CCI "Stingers" are a good bullet with more power and speed...I've shot many a large Groundhogs with them.Its just better to use a Rifle with a larger faster bullet so You don't loose a Predator/Varmint.....kinda like Deer Hunting,You can go too small sometimes on a certain Caliber and in my opinion too large and do more damage to the meat and hides!

Apparently You proved Your Brother wrong....but You could have gotten a few more Coyotes with a Rifle that could reach out further like a .22magnum .204,.223,.243 or a .22-250 to name a few.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cant honestly say I would pass on a coyote if I was carrying my .22 Lr (preferably my Savage BV vs my 10-22) and the opportunity presented itself but I would never go calling them with it.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
You could have gotten a few more Coyotes with a Rifle that could reach out further.
Yeah, it WAS pretty frustrating watching those 2 dogs hang up out there at "only 200yrds", but that happens. I've had dogs hang up at 900-1,000yrds when I've been hunting my .223rem also that have left me wishing I had my 7mm WSM or 284win in hand instead. As always, having game be "just out of range" is part of the thrill.

If I would have had my BOW, on the other hand, or a .22lr pistol, then yeah, I would have felt like my range was severely limited. Getting dogs inside 100yrds just isn't that uncommon. Getting them inside 40-50yrds might be another story, but for 100yrds, nah, just gotta run a good set...

Of course, it would have been nice to have had our coyote rigs along, but we hadn't planned to go calling either. In general, I'd recommend a .223rem as an ideal coyote rig, but "in a pinch", obviously the .22lr's worked.

(But man would I love to knock one down with my bow over a call!)
Old 12-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

As long as you can "confidently" place the shot just behind his ear; okay.

Otherwise, give me a centerfire.

Bow hunting coyotes from the ground must be the biggest challenge though !
Old 12-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

22lr is THE deadliest round out there. alot of people shrug it off...but it will kill a grown man as fast as a rabbit!!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Spike

Default .22lr

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
22lr is THE deadliest round out there. alot of people shrug it off...but it will kill a grown man as fast as a rabbit!!!!

thats right if you can shoot and get that ``shot placement`` right you can kill any thing if its in range, deer, coyote, bobcat , hog , maybe even bear.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redkid
thats right if you can shoot and get that ``shot placement`` right you can kill any thing if its in range, deer, coyote, bobcat , hog , maybe even bear.
alot of people get shot with them and die all the time, a guy got shot in the arm, the bullet, a 22lr, traveled from his shoulder through to his chest cavity and he died in minutes...
a 22 bounces around, thats what makes it so lethal. shot placement is not necessarily needed to kill someone/something...but fer ethics sake, it should be used.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Bow hunting coyotes from the ground must be the biggest challenge though !
I can't imagine being able to call coyotes with a bow on any consistent basis. Sure, I know I can call them within range, but to be able to get a bow drawn and hold long enough to get them close enough, OR be able to draw quietly enough and without moving too much once they're within range, man, it'd be a trip!

I've knocked a few down with my bow from my tree stand while deer hunting, maybe 3-4dogs over the last 15yrs though. To be able to PLAN on taking a dog that day with a bow, now THAT'S a good set and a steady hand!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Decoy and a remote caller (and being well tuucked in); you might have a fighting chance. No tree stand hunting for me (I guess that's just me).

Need to be on the ground - elevated position whenever possible though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.