Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Calling Concealment?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coyote Calling Concealment?

What's your method for concealment while coyote hunting?

I've been out with 3 different friends this prime season, and all 4 of us have different concealment methods.

I personally use a pretty minimalist approach. Most the time I just wear plain old camo clothes to match my surroundings. If I'm out in open grass, then I'll either use a ghillie suit, or "hide behind" blinds (I have 2 types, a set I made from a couple golf umbrellas, and a set I made from 2 accordian style baby gates. A little spray paint, burlap, jute, hobby lobby grass, and a volleyball net...). My theory is stay low to the ground inside the grass cover.

One of the guys I went with had us set up in a pop up blind. Of course, it's hardwoods colored, rather than prairie grass, so we had to set up under trees rather than in open ground. I think dogs would get used to a permanent blind, but for run and gun predator hunting, I think it sticks out too much. He's a deer and turkey hunter that's just getting into predator calling, and didn't realize that some things don't translate. It's pretty noisy and time consuming (all of 3min of course) to set up, just for a 20min set. Great concealment if it would match the surroundings though.

The 2nd guy had permanent "bunkers" dug into hillsides overlooking his sets. It was awesome. Of course, I suppose in wet weather it'd be muddy down in the hole, and I can imagine there would be mornings where you'd drop into the bunker to find a skunk had overnighted in it, but the concealment was hard to beat.

The third guy had us laying prone under a burlap sheet up on a hill. Staked to the ground at the back, and standing up on 3 taller legs at the front, I felt like I was a sniper in 'Nam or something. I was anxy about being silhouetted on the ridgeline, but it worked very well. It kinda sucked laying prone, but coyote sets aren't very long.

We got dogs from all 4 different methods, some more than others, but that's part of calling I guess.

Anyone else care to share their methods?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I camo-up (3D) from head to toe.

If making stands, I use a vest with a seat cushion or Cabela's "Gobbler Lounger" chair set in the best cover I can find 30 yards down wind from my decoy.

I use a Mojo Critter decoy and a Foxpro Spitfire caller.

Spot & stalk type hunts; 3D camo and my scoped AR-15 with a one point Magpul sling.

Most importantly - The ONE THING I've learned about predator hunting; you gotta see them, before they see you !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-13-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use camo along with whatever is there often just sitting against a tree.Pretty much as I do hunting turkeys or deer.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gear up with my Natural Gear Camo and usually set on one of those padded cushions,when ever possible I set up in one of my many different ladder stands scattered around our Farm.If we happen to be on someone else's property I try to find one of their ladder stands and sit in it or I simply make a small ground blind by leaning a broken limb at and angle against a tree,then add more limbs/branches and any limbs with leaves on it to hide and conceal myself.....some times I just use whats available around me in different area's or I lean up against a big Ol tree or find a large fallen tree/log and lay behind it and lean my gun over the top for an added rest to shoot from.

I've used old Barns and sheds,Farm Equipment and even sat in a impression out in the middle of a Pasture Field with some tall grass around me...that was one of my best natural concealments I've used that worked in getting a Coyote.I sat up in a fence row corner using the cedar tree's on my left and right to hide me...even used a large Cedar tree out in a field and cut off a few branches and leaned them against me to hide me even more.

I have a nice ground blind but as Nomercy stated...they are harder to conceal and aren't very Mobil....we have hunted out of a few wooden box blinds but haven't called in any Coyotes while in them?Hopefully when we get some colder weather and snow it will be much better calling and seeing more Predators...if that happens I'm hoping to get some Natural Gear Snow Camo for Christmas and start using that following weeek to hunt in the snow!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 12-15-2011 at 06:00 PM.