Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Beavers, lights, and calls

Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Spike

Default Beavers, lights, and calls

I read an old thread here about calling beavers by making a sound by mouth and shooting them aided by a light at night. I plan to work on these rascals on my property. Does anyone know if a Q beam will spook them immediately, or not, and what kind of sound will call them?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Spike

make sure its legal before you start spotlighting them. and no i have never heard of a beaver call you could use scents or lures make some fake castor mounds
Old 11-09-2011, 04:21 PM
NEK
Fork Horn

Never heard of anyone calling them - although that doesn't mean it can't be done.
I used to live in an apt.over an old converted carriage house in New Hampshire, and it was right on the edge of a big Beaver pond and at night - any time I would turn on a light in the house - that old Beaver would start smacking his tail on the water and keep it up till I turned off the light - so - at least that Beaver was not afraid of a light - I could have shot him any number of times if I chose to. He would just swim in a circle smacking the water.
If they are doing damage on your property - in some states you are allowed to shoot them. Better check your own state laws though.
Back in the early 60's a woman I knew owned a beautiful log cabin overlooking a good sized stocked pond and the pond was surrounded by one of the prettiest stands of Birch trees I have ever seen. All of a sudden, a pair of Beavers moved in and were quickly cutting all those nice birches. The lady hired me to go up and shoot those two animals. They would keep working in the daylight so it was no problem to just wait them out from a blind on the edge of the pond. Took one day to get them both. This was all on private property by the way.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Spike

Great information. Thanks.