Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Calling Mt. Lions

Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Spike

Default Calling Mt. Lions

I plan on trying to call in a mt lion this winter and thought I would see how many others have tried it. If so, any tips? What types of calls, sequences, set-ups have you tried? What worked, what didn't?

I know it's a long shot to intentionally call one in, but should be fun none-the-less.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know of three guys that have called in and killed mtn. lions. Only one of those guys was targeting the mtn. lion, the other two were simply calling predators with the usual distress sounds, and a lion came in. The guy that was targeting the lion was using lion vocals on a Fox Pro.
So from that, it sounds like the sound ya use isn't nearly as imporatant location, location, location.
Good luck, As you're obviously aware, calling in and killing a mtn. lion ain't a walk in the park..
Old 09-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a few buddies who have had them come into their set-up for predators & once to a friend's turkey set-up.

Both were in ground blinds ............good scent control I guess.

Both were close enough that they took pictures with their cell phones !

In SoCal we can't shoot them, legally (3 S's).
Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Spike

Thanks guys for the tips. I plan on trying both lion and rabbit calls, maybe even some fawn bleats. Gonna be a lot of trial and error. My dad spends most of the winter up in the mountains of New Mexico and knows where the lions are hanging out. Pretty much got their range, just got to figure out their pattern on when they will be passing through. I remember reading somewhere that said lions aren't nessasarily that hard to call in, it's just that most people aren't calling to any lions. Dunno, we will see how it works out.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:56 AM
Spike

Good luck!

I too plan to call Lions in this year, along with other predators. My biggest advice, if you're alone make sure you have something solid at your back. Lions have a habit of coming in from behind or the side.

Biker