Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Is this a coyote?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

It does look like it has dog blood in him.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen several Coyotes and that one definetly looks like it has some tame Dog in him?Still if its wild and messing with any of Your Farm Animals/Livestock it would be Ok to shoot it.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

+ 1 for Coydog
Old 08-22-2011, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

Nice color on him! Take him out! I'm not sure,but if it has some tame in it, that might make it less wary towards humans. I wouldn't want it hanging around pets/people!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

I'll definitely take him out if I see him. I don't know if I am going to go to the trouble to buy an electronic call and such, seeing as most people think it is half dog.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

I agree, "coydog". I'd for sure light em up next time I saw them. That's some scappy, ratty lookin critters right there.

Are chupacabra's now makin their way to VA?
RA
Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

It's a coyote with its summer fur.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The white "trimming" on the chest and tip of the tail really make me think it's a hybrid. The crown of the skull and the stop of the brow (over 25yrs growing up as a conformation dog breeder) look dodgey to be a purebred coyote. It's definitely a juvenile. I'd just as easily believe that it has NO coyote in it at all (wild mutt dog) as I would believe it's a hybrid, and I'm NOT prone to believe it's purebred coyote at all.

The easy explanation for why you saw "two identical dogs" running together at night, even if it is a hybrd or mutt dog is that these are juveniles, and it's VERY common that siblings from a litter, especially of dogs, will stick together until adulthood, or beyond. Domesticated dogs are actually more intrinsically "pack animals" than wild coyotes. Even still, seeing a pair of juvenile coyotes that age together wouldn't be uncommon. At that age (and this time of year I'd assume), the older "kits" are getting kicked out making room for the younger litter as they're becoming more mobile (should be breeding late winter-jan to march depending on area, welping in the spring to early summer-march to May, and the new pups will be VERY active by now-3 to 5months old, making the older kits a threat to them).

When I was growing up as a kid on the farm, wild dogs were a bigger problem than coyotes EVER were. Coyote, hybrid, or just plain mutts, I'd be taking these out if I were you...
Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

keep an eye on your chickens...........
Old 09-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Dogs, and I don't think they have much 'yote in them at all. WHere I'm from we have a lot of coyotes, and also a good amount of stray dogs. The dogs will do more damage than the yote's will. I'd shoot them without thinking twice if you got the chance.
-Jake