Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

airguns

Old 07-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by patman75
It could be user error.

Or I'm just spoiled with my 17hmr.

I need to spend a little time with it and see if it is me or the gun.

If its scoped I would suspect the scope to be the accuracy problem. Spring piston air rifles are extremely hard on scopes. More so than even large magnum CF rifles.

Scopes and mounts often fail because of the forward and backward motion associated with them.

Also make sure the lockup between barrel and action is tight and replace barrel seals often. This will keep the lock tighter. Seals are easy to find, easy to change and cheap.

I shoot a Gamo Hunter and its probably killed several hundred squirrels, a feral cat or two and countless pest birds.

For serious trigger upgrades consider the GRT-4g trigger. It costs around $35 and fits most SP air rifles. Huge difference in let off and improves accuracy as well. Its a DIY project that might take 10 minutes to install. This guy know air rifles..........

http://www.charliedatuna.com/

Last edited by skb2706; 07-22-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by skb2706
If its scoped I would suspect the scope to be the accuracy problem. Spring piston air rifles are extremely hard on scopes. More so than even large magnum CF rifles.

Scopes and mounts often fail because of the forward and backward motion associated with them.

Also make sure the lockup between barrel and action is tight and replace barrel seals often. This will keep the lock tighter. Seals are easy to find, easy to change and cheap.

I shoot a Gamo Hunter and its probably killed several hundred squirrels, a feral cat or two and countless pest birds.

For serious trigger upgrades consider the GRT-4g trigger. It costs around $35 and fits most SP air rifles. Huge difference in let off and improves accuracy as well. Its a DIY project that might take 10 minutes to install. This guy know air rifles..........

http://www.charliedatuna.com/
Thanks for all the info. That trigger is nice.

I noticed a lot of variation from pellet to pellet and was wondering if that had anything to do with it. Some load tight and others are loose.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by patman75
Thanks for all the info. That trigger is nice.

I noticed a lot of variation from pellet to pellet and was wondering if that had anything to do with it. Some load tight and others are loose.
it needs a heavy pellet....for hunting consider the benjamin discovery pellets
Old 08-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Spike

Default olehunter shoots

a $20 chinese from pawn shop will shoot into 1/2 in at 30 ft , but it took some work to get that.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Spike

i use a $20 chinese for backyard tree rats, shoots good .
Old 08-05-2011, 06:16 AM
Spike

BSA .22 Airsporter that I got for Christmas a long time ago. I have killed a lot of small game with it. Seems to kill as good as a shotgun on the small stuff.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by olehunter
i use a $20 chinese for backyard tree rats, shoots good .
wow! must be rare and far inbetween, cuz every sporting good ive ever gotten from china breaks quick
Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Spike

Default air gun

i use $20 pawn shop chinese for the back yard tree rats.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Spike

sorry for the multiple replys .dont know what happened.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

I too have a big cat 1200. Didn't spend the extra money on the extra bells and whistles (laser/flashlight combo scope). I've shot a decent handful of fox squirrels, countless starlings, couple snakes at close range, 1 possum, and a truckload of tin cans

I had an issue with my accuracy when I first bought it, but with a consistant grip, and a few tins of lead down the barrel (the Walmart crossman stuff) my gun shoots pretty nice with a flier here and there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.