Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Electronic Caller Recommendations?

Old 05-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default Electronic Caller Recommendations?

I dabble in predator / crow hunting. To date, I've been using a old cd player I painted camo with some MP3s I downloaded from the internet onto a CD. I set it out 100 yards in front of me. The problem is I have no remote so I'm unable to start / stop or adjust volume. I've called in a few coyotes, tons of crows, and a bunch of owls / hawks (no I don't shoot them). I've only been able to connect with one coyote because the know somethings wrong when they approach and the volume is still on high.

I'm thinking about stepping it up. I've been looking at the Foxpro Fury. I'm just concerned about spending $600 without getting some input from others.

Anyone like to Fury or other callers
Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

First thing I'd recommend is to shop for "used". Lot of good deals to be had if you look and have patience.
There are several Fox Pro models that are worth looking for. I've used the FX3, the FX5 which I am currently planning on selling, and now have the CS-24. I also have a Wildlife Tech. WT2030 call which now that I have the CS-24, it's also going up for sale.
Electronics rarely go bad from use. And if a Fox Pro unit has any problems, Fox Pro has a great record of customer service.

By the way, I'm asking $350 for my FX5. If you're interested, PM me and I'll tell ya the list of sounds it has.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

+ 1 FoxPro

I use their Spitfire.

A remote is key !
Old 05-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by A11en
I dabble in predator / crow hunting. To date, I've been using a old cd player I painted camo with some MP3s I downloaded from the internet onto a CD. I set it out 100 yards in front of me. The problem is I have no remote so I'm unable to start / stop or adjust volume. I've called in a few coyotes, tons of crows, and a bunch of owls / hawks (no I don't shoot them). I've only been able to connect with one coyote because the know somethings wrong when they approach and the volume is still on high.

Anyone like to Fury or other callers
Why do you feel you need to place the caller 100 yards in front of you? Have you tried setting up and placing the caller adjacent to you? If you have a centerfire rifle, a shot can be taken well past 100 yards if the terrain, weather and your abilities can assure a good hit.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

I live in the East and don't have the wide open terrain. When I call with the CD player next to me, they are able to get right on top of me, looking right at me. I always get busted

I put it out 100 yards in front of me and up wind, and I've seen alot more animals
Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

The Fury is the cadillac of e-calls. It gives you useful features such as the ability to sequence sounds. The remote is second to none! Get it and don't look back!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Spike

The Fox Pro FX3 has worked well for me; calling coyotes, crows, fox, and bobcats.

CK

Last edited by Coyote Kid; 08-03-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

+1 for the FoxPro Spitfire... Definitely budget friendly for those that only "dabble" in predator calling.

I personally prefer mouth calls, and rarely use electronic callers, so when I decided to add one to the kit, I didn't want to break the bank. The Fury is amazing, one of my calling partners has one, if there's something a caller SHOULD do, it does every bit of it, and if there's something a caller COULD do, it does most of what you could dream of. But it also comes with a cadillac pricetag. The Spitfire and FX3 might not be as loaded as the Fury, but they're very capable callers, with great quality sound... And oh yeah... About 1/3 of the cost...
Old 08-11-2011, 05:46 AM
Spike

+1 FoxPro Spitfire.

I live up in Nova Scotia (Canada) and have called in more coyotes, as well as two bobcats, with it over the past year than I did in the four years previous. It's cheap, loud enough for around here (generally hunting in the woods), well made, and is very responsive. It's certainly the best investment I've made for hunting coyotes.