Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Problem

Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Problem

Squarel season started here last week and in that time ive fired twice. The first looked like a hit but he took off after wards the second i know i hit it (rolled then took off got blood/hair) ive squarel hunted for a lot of years and have never lost one. I usually hunt witg a 22 or a 12ga with #5shot but these two days ive used. a16ga full choke with #6 shot. My 12 kills em drt but the 16 idj if i need bigger shot or what. Ive killed prolly 100 squarels in my time but neveer had this problem aby ideas what might be wrong here?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

the 16 gauge with 6 shot is plenty for a squirrel, so I'd suggest patterning your gun and shell combo on paper at various yardages to see just exactly what is going on when the shot leaves the barrel. Maybe your shotgun shell choice isn't working well with the choke in your gun.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Howler. #6 shot packs the same punch coming out of a 16 as it does out of a 12. You just don't have as many of them. But I know a 20 (and a .410 for that matter) will do the job with #6 shot, so the 16 should be plenty. Just shoot some paper at various yardages and see exactly where your pattern is going and how dense it is. Shotgun patterning is a big topic for turkey hunters, but it's just as important for people wingshooting and shooting small game too. Try a couple different loads and see which gives you the most consistent and evenly-dispersed pattern. Good luck! I have to wait until August to chase bushytails here in Illinois...

rw
Old 06-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Fork Horn

UPDATE! Ithink i fixed my problem. I was useing a 20+yr old box of #6 winchesters i went out and bought a new box of winchester #4 and took it out. Killed two with two shots. So i was happy
Old 06-05-2011, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
UPDATE! Ithink i fixed my problem. I was useing a 20+yr old box of #6 winchesters i went out and bought a new box of winchester #4 and took it out. Killed two with two shots. So i was happy
If I lived closer to you I could really hook you up. I load and shoot 16 ga and have about 3 cases of hulls to play with. I have a Browning Sweet 16 I like to get out and chase treehoppers and pheasants with once in awhile. My 16 REALLY likes 5 shot on them nutcutters. Glad your problem is cured. Nothing like treerat, gravey and either cornbread or bisquits!!
Old 06-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

SC oh yea fried suarel and gravy is some real good eatin. I prefer #5 shot over any. I use it for 99% of my hunting in my 870 12ga i cant find any factory 5 shot for my 16ga ive got 4 16ga guns 2singles and 2 pumps its always been a gauge of intrest this as the first year ive ever hunted with one long enough to have success think ill keep it up may use it for dove in september.