Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

salting/borax pelts

Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default salting/borax pelts

i am trying to learn how to do my own pelts,and i have a few questions i hope somebody can awnser for me

after skinning, fleshing. is salting/borax the skin side of the hide all you have to do in the tanning process?

i see pictures of hides turned fur in right after the stretcher board hanging in buildings by the hundreds. is this the finished product? how long will they keep?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Spike

Twenty Mule Team Borax works well to preserve hides. I have some that are 35 years old and are still good. The down side, the hides are stiff and not soft like when they are tanned. You have to rub it in like sand paper to remove the flesh and remove most of the moisture, then pin it down to hold the shape you want.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Spike

I use Van Dykes for alot of different things. They are a taxidermy supply. Get on their website they have several different tanning solutions to offer. They have a toll free number you can call. Maybe you could talk to someone there that can help you find the right product for your needs.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Borax cleans the hide and preserves it. But if you want to tan it get a tanning solution or make you own using a recipe. There are those with battery acid to those with sulfate crystals. Find what works for you and experiment.