Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
should i get a decoy along with a caller? >

should i get a decoy along with a caller?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

should i get a decoy along with a caller?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Spike

Default should i get a decoy along with a caller?

planning on getting the foxpro spitfire because the price is great and it got good reviews on cabelas? do those of you that hunt predators a lot reccomend getting a decoy as well?

Thanks,

Wes
Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Yes, a decoy will be an excellent addition to your hunting gear. By showing the predators a visual, in addition to what they hear, you will create a more realistic scenario - one that they will more likely commit to.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to muddy the water abit.....a decoy is the LAST piece of gear needed to be successful at calling and killing predators. Just one more thing to carry and in most instances, just not necassary to kill predators.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

A decoy can help but with a caller going they will be zeroing in on where the sound is coming from allowing you to take aim with less chance of them spotting the movement so it's not as much of an aid as when using mouth calls.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

I use a small decoy that fits in my fx3 carrying case the wounded woodpecker or the quiver critter will fit in on top of my call and I place it near the call so they see it..
Old 12-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is what I use;

http://www.cabelas.com/product/MOJO-...t=mojo+critter

Although, a stick with a turkey feather tied to it would be better then nothing.

...........and all my gear goes in this (although mine is an older model bag);

http://www.gofoxpro.com/products/acc...oduct_case.php

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-29-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info, I got the spitfire today, wish I was patient enough to order it with custom programing but i really wanted it for this weekend, I passed on the decoy for now, but knowing me I will probably buy one soon enough. I do have plenty of turkey feathers however, since I shot my first two right before turkey day! Ill give it a try and let you know how it went this weekend. Also, anyone ever used the bobcat in heat call succesfully, I would love to get a bobcat sometime.

Thanks,
wes
Old 12-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wes,

So it looks like this.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunte...predator+decoy

Go get'em !
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Wes,

So it looks like this.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunte...predator+decoy

Go get'em !
could make about 30 of them lol! kept all the feathers from my first turkey, just didn't know what to do with them. my buddy said he could sell them to some hippy at his apartment complex as eagle feathers to sew into his hair, but i like this idea better!