Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shooting Jack Rabbits - Question

Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Spike

Default Shooting Jack Rabbits - Question

Hey all,

I'm a falconer and typically hunt jackrabbits and cottontails with my Red-Tail. I am looking to shoot some for food for her between when she catches them herself.

I was wondering if anybody has used .223 to shoot jacks? I know it is more than enough to do the job, but I am interested in how much it tears up jack when you shoot it? I'd also like to get into shooting yotes out of my hunting fields which is why I'm looking into the .223. Otherwise I'd just stick with the .22lr.

Thought you all might like a picture of the Red-Tail. Her name is Adelaide. This is the first jackrabbit she ever caught.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no answer for your question sadly but dude, Thats freakin awesome!!!!

Ryan.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Eragon
I was wondering if anybody has used .223 to shoot jacks? I know it is more than enough to do the job, but I am interested in how much it tears up jack when you shoot it?
A .223 does tear jacks up some, but it's worthwhile IMHO.
Personally, every time I have hunted Jacks and yotes (We hunted both in the same areas at the same time...seemed to work pretty well) we used either a 223 or 308, but with both, the "rule" was headshots only.
Depending on bullet choice, you'll do more or less damage.
Since the jacks are intended for food, I would lean towards a nontoxic type or possibly and FMJ - less chance to fragment and have those lead fragments poison your prized hunting bird.
It's a lot easier if you reload your own, but factory ammo is available for your needs.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Spike

Thanks guys! I love hawking. Was definately a good introduction to hunting small game with guns.

I'll definitely go with .223 then. I figured I'd go with copper solids on jacks to avoild the risk of lead poisoning. On yotes it doesn't matter. I can reload when I'm at home but while I'm away at school I can't because of the gun policy on campus.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Spike

Awesome pic, beautiful bird.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Spike

I kill jackrabbits with my youth mossberg 20 gauge. the pellets may not be safe for your bird though...
Old 12-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

You will want a .223 for shooting coyotes.

If you are going to shoot jack rabbits with it, just shoot them in the head.

Do you and your red tail hunt over a dog (I would love to do it also) ?
Old 12-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tougher built 223 bullets will be ok on jackrabbits. Light weight, fragile built bullets will stew them for you.

223rem is the ideal coyote load.