Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Looking to Get Into Trapping...

Old 12-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Spike

Default Looking to Get Into Trapping...

I’m going to venture into small game hunting this season after deer season runs out & been reading up on trapping & it sounds like something I’d be interested in also. I’d like to go after coyotes but since I’ve never trapped before from what I’ve read coons were easier for beginners to hone their skills & learn from. The little masked bandits have been into my deer feeders & caught with my trail cameras more than several times so I know they are there & a pond is near(not on our property though) so I’m probably not even seeing a fraction of what is really there. As always I’m hunting/trapping on a budget so I can’t break the bank on doing this.

First off I got to get the $25 trapping license. NC law is that the traps have to have less than a 7.5" jaw spread & horizontally offset with a closed-jaw spread of at least 3/16". Snares are illegal unless trapping beavers. Conibear traps have to be completely covered by water to be used. Also the chain can’t be longer than 8" when hooked to a solid anchor, would a stake or a drag be better for coons?

I’m thinking of getting a half-dozen #1 1/2 offsets to start off with since they seem to be the general recommended trap for coons then maybe later on half-dozen #2 for coyotes. Any recommendations on brands to look for & those to stay away from? Duke seems to be the most cost reasonable manufacturer on traps but not sure on their quality?

Last edited by NCGHunter; 12-19-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

You sound like you have a grasp of the whole trapping idea. I've been trapping 3 years now. You will find any info that you need on www.trapperman.com

Wealth of nowledge over there.

Good luck and don't get in it for the money. Do it for the fun.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Wink

It sounds like your off to a good start. Yeah I would defiantly go with the duke traps they are good quality and affordable. Do you know what you want to use for lure/bait? I use tuna fish for coons it is very smelly and seems to work great. I use bacon grease for yotes, skunks, foxes and even porcupines. Bacon grease seems to be irressitable to the critters.

I also would HIGHLY reccomend these two websites I have learned alot from them and I buy most of my supplies and traps from them..... F&T trading post http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/ And... PCS outdoors http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/
Good luck!
Warning: Trapping is very addictive.

Gen

Last edited by genesis27:3; 12-20-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Bummer! offsets arn't the best for coons. You should look at the Lil Griz Getter'z They are dogproof and work very well. Lenons lures are very good and work well.for coyotes. 1 3/4, 2, or 3 will all work great. Duke is a good brand to go for if your watching your budget.
The two webs gen recomended are great.
Have fun trapping,

Sam
Old 12-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Spike

Yea I figured coons would be able to get out of the offset traps pretty easily, I think I'm going to go with the live traps on them since there are house cats in the area. Just got to be able to find some live traps that are affordable & will last so I could get several or figure a way on how to make/build one.

I've read that the lil griz getter'z are dog proof but what would they do to a house cat if one was to get caught? I'd really like to use lil griz getter'z getters due to cost over a live trap if possible. Just the size of the hole where the bait goes is smaller than a dog's paw is what makes it 'dog proof'? I'm not trying to have to explain to people how their cat broke their leg soon after I started trapping haha. Or possibly use apples or something that a cat wouldn't go after?