Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel load?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Spike

Default Squirrel load?

I use a charles daily 3 1/2 semi.

What load should i use?
I use a turkey choke cause i havnt got a new one yet and number 5 shot is just tearin them up way to much.

What choke type choke and load should i buy.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

I use size 6 shot with the high brass shells. I don't know off hand what the powder charge is, but the shells have the high brass on them. I would use an IC choke. You get better spread so it won't tear up the squirrels as much. It also improves your hit rate. I found that I was over choked and missed to many that way.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Spike

I miss alot to. Idk how. I hold steady and put it right on them and i make sure im in range. Never thaught it be my choke
Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

I use highbrass #5 , #6 or 7.5.They are 1 1/4oz loads.Also lowbrass 1 1/8 oz #6 or 7.5 work good but just get closer.I use a full choke.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Spike

I shoot low brass #6 with a mod. choke out of my rem 870 12.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, the choke is too much as you already know. Did the gun not come with any other chokes? What shells are you shooting? If you are tearing them up so bad, I would assume that you are using turkey loads and are too close. I would get some 1-1/4oz Rabbit and Squirrel loads of 5's or 6's and if you are not able to get another choke right now, I would just back off on the distance and that should help you out for a minute.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Spike

I baught it from the pawn shop and it came with the turkey choke. Just havnt got around to buying a full or modfied. And im using #5 high brass. It demolishs them.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

i do a lot of squirrel hunting, although i usually use a 20g, i like high velocity 1oz game loads in 4 or 5 with a full choke and i aim close to but not quite at the head. The high velocity shot usually passes clean thru (hate to bite down on a shot) and by aiming off a bit ill usually end up with only 2 or 3 shot even hitting to begin with.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Spike

I cant decide between a modfied choke or a full. I want a choke that i can deer hunt with and squirrel hunt iwth