Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

My Fox Hunting Blog

Old 12-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Spike

Default My Fox Hunting Blog

I've been stalking a pack of fox on my parents land for a little bit now. I'm about to set out my traps in the near future but I've decided to post a blog about it so people can use this information to benefit themselves as wells.

Day 1: November 25th, 2010.
Target: Rabbit - Fox - Raccoon
I placed three pieces of shrimp by the far tree, I also placed five chopped carrots in the center circle area. The shrimp were eaten but the carrots were untouched. An hour later, a passing bar fox was caught on cam. The next morning the pictures were confirmed, all pieces of carrots were still there. Foxes are omnivores so this was quite surprising.

Conclusion: Three Fox pictures were taken. Shrimp 1/1. Carrots 0/1.

Day Two: November 26th, 2010
Target: Fox

I placed several snares in small nooks in the woods where there were snow tracks. Also, I set up a Connibear (rusted) with three pieces of shrimp behind it where the shrimp was in Day ones picture. Also, I threw one shrimp in the center where the carrot was placed. Nothing was touched and no pictures were taken. Possibly over tampering of the area, recently being here, or the smell of snares and the rust distracted them. They say there's a few days between sightings.
Conclusion: No pictures taken. Shrimp 1/2 Carrots 0/2.

Day Three: November 28th, 2010 (Houdini)
I placed two large pieces of neck meat in a new location right before a snow storm (4 inches). Both pieces of meat were gone but the camera picked up nothing. I placed the camera right in front of two large pieces of neck bone, but as I arrived at 6am, there was not a single thing on camera.
Conclusion: No pictures taken. Neck bone 1/1.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Spike

Day Four: December 1st, 2010
We just received six inches of snow between the last two days. There were a few tracks back in this spot so I laid down two more pieces of neck bone.

Conclusion: One Fox picture was taken. Both Baits were gone. Neck Bone 2/2.

Day Five: December 2nd, 2010
I arrived that morning to see the bait was taken the night before. (See above picture) so I simply thew one more piece of neck bone out. Everything else was left the same.

Conclusion: One Fox picture was taken. The bait was gone. Neck Bone 3/3.

Day Six: December3rd, 2010
I arrived again to see my bait was gone for the second day in a row. This time I dropped a full deer carcass.

Conclusion: No real pictures taken. The picture above is me setting up the bait that morning. Deer Carcass 0/1.