Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

best coyote call

Old 11-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default best coyote call

im a begginer and im going hunting for the first day of deer and only have my doe tag left and i was thinking that i would do some coyote hunting when i fill my tag, whats the most productive and simple call for a beginner?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

a closed reed call probably a rabbit squealer of some sort for about ten bucks or less at any good hunting supply store or walmart,it is very simple and cheap.If you are wanting to continue predator hunting you can advance to other calls later and spend a lot more money if you want,killed my first coyote years ago with a little johnny stewart closed reed call many years ago and still carry one during all hunting trips for other animal,and try to call in ole wiley coyote when nothing else is moving....
Old 12-26-2010, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

A metal reed call is the easiest to use but they can freeze up in cold temps so most folks also carry plastic reed versions.They're pretty much the same but take a little more practice to get accustomed to.You can use a turkey diaphragm mouth call if you have any.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

As has been mentioned, about any call on the market with an enclosed reed will get you started and will call coyotes. They can freeze up, from your spit, if it's really cold outside, so simply keep the call in your pocket until you're ready to use it, instead of hanging on a lanyard exposed to the cold.
You may want to try an open reed call at some point. They are a little tougher to use but also give the user more flexibility in the variations of sounds from distress to howls. Again, about any call on the market will work.
Lots of ecalls on the market as well if you decide to spend more money. They don't gaurantee more success, but they can give better success when used properly.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's the caller, not the call.

Most importantly is if those yotes have been educated by other hunters !