Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Prairie Dogs

Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Prairie Dogs

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the closest area to East central Iowa to go for prairie dogs.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

Prairie dogs like a less humid climate than east central Iowa. SD has the rodent and is right next door to IA. I am not sure if NE has much for dogs. Be aware there are also gophers and ground squirrels (striped gophers) that farmers and ranchers want kept in control. The pocket gopher can get to be good sized is are not as large as a prairie dog. A striped gopher is smaller than the prairie dog. I grew up shooting gophers with an open sight 22LR. The best times are morning and about two hours before the sun sets. If you can, have the sun directly behind you as it sets.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

I grew up in central Iowa and never saw a prairie dog until I moved to Colorado
Old 11-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

I know I am going to have to travel I was just wondering how far into South Dakota or NE to get to them and if anyone has any suggestions for an outfitter.