Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Calling in coyotes.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:17 AM
Spike

Default Calling in coyotes.

So since the season started this oct in the north east i've been out a few times (as well as before the season) and i've called in a few coyotes, but it has been relatively inconsistent. Now i know nothing is guaranteed however i feel like i'm doing something wrong.

My main question is how should i call, and by how i mean how long should i wait once i get to my stand before i start doing distress calls, how long should that last non-stop, if i do stop how long do i wait to start up, do i not start back up, how long after i stop a nonstop call do i wait in the same position before i move on to another location?

Basically i would really appreciate if someone were able to give me a run down of how they coyote hunt as in "get to location, start calling after 10 mins, call for 5 mins, wait 45 mins, if no action i leave. If there is action i use open reed howler to bark the yotes in" (this is all an example, not what i actually do).

I have a closed reed distress call, and an open reed howler, i typically get to my location, and wait about 10 mins before calling, i'll do the distress call for about 2 mins straight then stop and wait about 15 mins, then do the call again and repeat this for about 45 mins and if there has been no action i move on. Sometimes i'll do the distress call for 2 mins then when i finish wait 30 seconds and do a lone coyote howl then wait 10-15 mins and if there was no action i repeat the same sequence, after 45 mins if nothing i leave, but this method has brought me no luck.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is no perfect formula !

Sounds like you are doing fine.

Start soft at first, until you get better at calling.

Call with emotion, however long or short.

Watch the way you come into & out of each stand; stay in cover, don't make noise and always check the wind.

Remember, you need to see them, before they see you !
Old 10-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing that you mention that you do, and I read that a lot of guys do it, is to get to your location and sit quietly for several minutes. I see no need to do this. As soon as I sit down and get ready, I start calling.
I call of and on for about 15-20 minutes, longer later in the season when I start using more vocals. Early in the season, I usual very little vocals, and I may blow 1 minute distress, sit 30 seconds, then another 1 minute, wait quietly for a minute or two, then another series over and over. I may even change distress sounds about 10 minutes into the stand. Don't be afraid to try different sounds, even is the sounds aren't something normally found in your area. Coyotes hear distress, they don't hear snowshoe, jackrabbit, and cottontail, or flicker distress. They just hear distress.

Really doesn't sound like you're calling wrong, so it may have to do with your stand selection. As Sheridan said, you've got to set up so that you can see them before they smell you. I dont' worry so much about a coyote seeing me first, after all, I'm sitting still in camo hopefully blending in with my surroundings. Worry more about the coyotes smelling your first, because if they smell you first, then you likely won't get a chance to see them at all.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Howler
Really doesn't sound like you're calling wrong, so it may have to do with your stand selection. As Sheridan said, you've got to set up so that you can see them before they smell you.
How do i prevent them smelling me? I know there's scent blocker but without how would i even go about preventing that. My spots are pretty awesome i have 4 on a farm, one in an awesome tree stand, and the rest are deep woods with my back to a tree or rock.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Huntard,

"Watch the way you come into & out of each stand............."

BTW - I realize you "set-up" in a tree stand sometimes.

You put your scent on the ground as you come into where you set-up (FYI -we call this "a stand").

Most importantly expect those yotes to come into "your stand" from down wind.

Also, if you have scent killer or scent cover by all means use it !!!

It's gonna happen for you soon; I can feel it !
Old 10-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do i prevent them smelling me?
Select your stands so that you can shoot any coyotes coming to the call BEFORE they can reach your scent cone.
For example, select a stand with a crosswind and make sure that you can see and shoot any incoming coyote before he reaches your scent.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Spike

Does anyone else have any other suggestions, or anything to add?