Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Holy Crap...I Got One!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Spike

Default Holy Crap...I Got One!!!

I didn't think it was possible, but I got my first squirrel today with a bow!! I was just taking a gander in the land behind my house and I spotted the little critter, did my best to get as close to him and I friggin nailed him.

I can't believe that

A.) I was able to get that close to him

and...

B.) I was able to pull off a shot at such a steep, upward angle at a target 15 yards up on a branch while surrounded by brush (never made a shot like that before).

I need to get a microSD card then I will post the pic for the contest.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Spike

Well, now that almost 24 hours have gone by, the adrenaline rush is over and I am left with a feeling of guilt, guilt for leaving behind the first thing I have killed with my bow.

Allow me to explain...

When I shot the squirrel, I did not even think that I would hit it. I have only been shooting for about a couple months and up until yesterday all I have shot is 3d. But then I saw it, and I stalked him and I drew, put my 20 pin on him and pulled the trigger -- and to the ground he fell, dead.

At this point, I neither had the knowledge or tools to clean the animal, and I knew that my daughter -- who is the biggest animal lover I know -- would flip out if I brought it back with me. So I took pictures, said a prayer and left him in the woods, telling myself that I have provided dinner for another living thing.

Now I am left with this feeling of guilt that I cannot seem to shake. I went back out this morning to try and find the body -- not sure why, maybe just to take his tail as a keepsake of my first bow kill, and maybe bury the body -- but I could not locate it.

I don't know why I am posting this now. I know it's just a "tree rat" -- not something grand like a buck or bear or any other big game -- but I still feel that I have dishonored my prey and disgraced myself as a hunter. I certainly would never do such a thing to a buck.

I most probably will be chastised and flamed by other members here but I just felt the need to let this out.

I will never again will kill anything without eating it....no matter how big or small. Sorry, li'l buddy.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Check out this post before shooting another one.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/smal...-squrrels.html

Good Luck.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Wait until you get one that you take home and eat and see how guilty you feel. You will probably feel more guilty about killing it for no reason than you will for killing one for a meal. I have hit shot two deer that got away from me. I felt really bad about it, but I am getting over that. I know that when something dies in the woods, the other critters get to eat too. So while you didn't get it, something else did.

As a case in point, when I get a deer around my house, I drag the remains into the woods behind the house after taking what I want from it. By the next day, crows and buzzards are going to town on it. In at least one case, something larger dragged off the entire deer. Most likely coyote.

In nature, very little goes to waste.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Spike

Here is a quick and easy recipe if cooking squirrel for one.

Place whole cleaned squirrel on aluminum foil. Add some corn or any other vegetables you like. Cover with salsa. Fold over foil to make a tight packet. Place in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. The moisture in the salsa will steam cook the veges tables and meat. It will also self baste the meat keeping it moist and tender.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Spike

That does sound good
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Spike

Thanks, guys.

I have been watching a lot of videos (including the ones you posted JRBSR) on how to properly skin and clean one and I will be ready the next time I bag one.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Spike

Skinning them out takes some practice. Expect to fight your first few.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

best way to get the skin off a squirrel easy to to skin him the moment he hits the ground. Carry him around for a hour or more while you continue to hunt makes for a MUCH harder job of it.

Once they start to cool out and stiffen it's a tough row to hoe.........
Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by worstcaster
Here is a quick and easy recipe if cooking squirrel for one.

Place whole cleaned squirrel on aluminum foil. Add some corn or any other vegetables you like. Cover with salsa. Fold over foil to make a tight packet. Place in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. The moisture in the salsa will steam cook the veges tables and meat. It will also self baste the meat keeping it moist and tender.
I wonder how that would be on the grill......yummy.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.