Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Fox and Coyotes

Old 09-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Spike

Default Fox and Coyotes

I've just gotten interested in hunting fox and coyotes and i was wonderin if anyone had any tips on getting started. I just bought a 7mm .08 for a deer rifle. will that still work with like a 75 grain load? Please let me know anything that will help.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Ya, it'll work just fine. It may rip the skins up a little bit... If you're wanting to hunt them for their skins you may consider another option. But just population control, it'll be great! Good luck
-Jake
Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

The 120gr ballistic tip is the lightest bullet I have fired from my .280AI. haven't shot any coyote with it yet but I know it will be way over kill. The 7mm-08 will be a little on the large side for varmint but dead is dead regardless.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Be careful of going too small on the bullet. 75 grains probably is too light for a 7mm gun of any sort. Your accuracy could potentially be very bad unless your gun was made for lighter bullets. I would say that if you aren't saving pelts just use whatever bullets you use for deer and consider it practice. BB

Last edited by Beard Buster; 10-10-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

some of the softpoint bullets dont expand enough in smaller animals to be real fur rippers,i have killed a few while deer hunting with my .308 and even .300 win mag and not tore them much worst then my .223 with highly expandanly bullets just shoot for the lung area and dont try to shoulder shoot them and it shouldn't explode them,I tore out a whole side of ribs and ripped one from the front shoulder back to its hind leg with a .223 one time on a frontal shot,so any bullet can tear them up but it shouldn't be to bad if you dont hit the shoulder or spine..goodluck and it dont matter what you use as long as it is enough to kill them cleanly just get out and hunt...
Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if there even is a 75gr 7mm bullet but with any 7mm there won't be much left of the hide.On the other hand using your deer gun is a great way to really learn it well for big game.