Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel dog

Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Spike

Default Squirrel dog

i have bought a mt cur pup he is bout 4 months old and needing some advice for starting this young pup on some quirrells
Old 07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Spike

Thumbs up Mt cur pup

I have a 2yr old female that I've had since she was 6 wks old. She really didn't show much interest in squirrels until she was about 5 months old. We have squirrels all around the house. I would shoot a squirrel with a 22 while my wife held her. Then I would tie arope around it & drag it all around the yard. Threw thye rope over a limb close to the trunk of a tree & pull up & let down. After about 3 or 4 times I could see the light come on! At 5 1/2 months she started treeing on her own & hasn't stopped! Let me tell tou she is a squirrel treeing machine! Just take it slow & don't get discouraged. Be patient,sometimes it takes a little while for them to catch on. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to ask, maybe I can. ps I/m in northwest lousiana, wher you at?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Spike

I appreciate the info. Im in southern Tn
Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I got a mt cur also.TCICON gave you some excellent advice.Another thing is if you can get someone to catch you a live squirrel in a cage trap that is excellent.Let the squirrel out and hold the dog back till the squirrel gets out.Then let the dog get at him.Just get your pup in the woods and work him.Possibly put out some squirrel feeders to bring your dog to them and let him get the scent.If you need anymore help let me know.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Also i forgot to mention have you checked to see if your dog is gun shy?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Spike

Yes sir he isnt gun shy a bit i got plenty of squirrels can u tell me advice on catchin 1 in a trap
Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Try and find you a den tree where there coming out by the ground.Set the trap about 3 foot away and put some pecans and corn in the back and a trail of corn into the trap from the hole.Gets um all the time.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

get the dog around lots of squirrels as much as possible. if its a decent dog they start puttin it together. its natural for em.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Spike

I just bought a dog too. Black mouth cur/ jack Russell mix. She is 4 months old. She is starting to tree a lil bit I've been working with her some. She is starting to catch on. I hope everything goes well! I'm from s w louisiana. But hunt tensas frequently
Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

My family's dachshund will tree a squirrel in a heartbeat. There better not be one in the yard cause the chase is on then. never heard of anyone really using dogs though... We just go sit in a thick oak hammick and wait for them to show up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.