Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

help with track

Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Spike

Default help with track

anyone care to help with this track? at first glance i thought big cat, but surely thats not the case around here. it doesnt look quite like a dog track, but there are a few that run around. thats a quarter i placed in the footpad for size reference
Attached Thumbnails help with track-track1.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bradley300
anyone care to help with this track? at first glance i thought big cat, but surely thats not the case around here. it doesnt look quite like a dog track, but there are a few that run around. thats a quarter i placed in the footpad for size reference
it's a canine track, no doubt. big track too if thats a quarter. i was gonna say possibly big ass wolf at first, depending on where you live, but now i'm thinking it's a huge dog.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Very big domestic dog.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

where do u live exactly..could be depending where u live..the toes look to be longer than a dog track,but could be cause of the mud...big track either way
Old 06-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Canine Track

http://www.bear-tracker.com/dog.html

Mud makes for what appears to be a "bigger" animal, than it really is.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Spike

i kinda figured, we have a rhodesian ridgeback hound and a few basset hounds that run around and i assumed it was them, the pads just seemed awfully round for a dog so i thought i would question, but i'll take your guys word for it.

btw, i live in clarksville, tn. there have been some mountain lion sightings down about an hour south, but its been a few years which was the biggest reason i questioned these. thanks for the help
Old 06-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Spike

here are my reference pics, kinda thought it could be a couple thing, in the back of my mind i was hoping it was something more exciting than a dog! lol
Attached Thumbnails help with track-comptracks.jpg  
Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Spike

Canine tracks show claw marks. Felines walk with their claws retracted and therefore there are no claw marks.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bradley300
What ever it is, it's still big.
Better be watching your back.

JMHO
Old 07-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Spirithawk
Canine tracks show claw marks. Felines walk with their claws retracted and therefore there are no claw marks.
My observation as well.Good eye!