Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
want a trapping bait that wont attract skunks >

want a trapping bait that wont attract skunks

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

want a trapping bait that wont attract skunks

Old 06-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default want a trapping bait that wont attract skunks

hey guys i want to live trap around my yard but i really dont want skunks stinking up the place any bait ideas that wont attract the little critters??
Old 06-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, if you catch a skunk in a life trap, if you approach it slowly so as not to spook it, then cover the trap with a blanket then open the door and walk away, it probably won't spray. OR use a life trap that is small enough that a skunk can't lift it's tail, and it won't be able to spray, again open the door and walk away..
Old 06-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've caught a lot of skunks in live traps and the only way I can let them loose without getting sprayed is to take my time and ease up to the trap. It may take me 15 minutes to cover the last 20 feet to the trap. Then I flip the release, which drops the door...and I run like hell.

I've probably released 50 and I've been sprayed once...with my wife and kids watching. They still love to tell the story.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

What are you trying to catch? There are baits that will work depending on what it is you are after. And you can release a skunk that has been trapped I've done it hundreds of times takes a big blanket and some patients.