Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

scent-lok on predator sets??

Old 05-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default scent-lok on predator sets??

i was wondering if it would be worth trying some kind of scent cover like scent-lok on my coyote and fox sets to kill some unwanted scent? has anyone tried this?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scent-Lok isn't a cover scent and it doesn't work as it's advertised. Your best bet would be to set-up down wind from where you want to watch.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingfool94
i was wondering if it would be worth trying some kind of scent cover like scent-lok on my coyote and fox sets to kill some unwanted scent? has anyone tried this?

I've never tried any kind of scent killer sprays on my predator sets/traps. I've got confidence in my trap preparation/handling and I'm very reluctant to "fix something that ain't broke".

You could give it a try and see what happens at a set or two first.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

set up correctly, where you can see and kill them before they get your wind, and you won't need to trust in any thing but your good set up.
If scent containing clothing works so well, won't don't all the deer hunters that swear by it sit on the ground and kill thier deer. Because the simply getting in a tree stand not only gets you raised out of thier line of sight, but also gets your scent up off the ground too..
Old 05-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

i should have been more specific im talking about trapping, i was wondering like after ive set my traps spray a little scent cover around the set just to be safe..
Old 05-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe spray some scent killer on any parts you may have touched with bare hands. That's about all I would do.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

yea thats what i was thinking if i touch the trap or the dirt around it just give it a couple squirts of scent killer or a hemlock or pine cover scent
Old 05-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

wear rubber gloves and you won't have to worry about touching your gear and leaving scent on it...