Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote hunting in Indiana

Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Spike

Default coyote hunting in Indiana

Hi,

My Dad lives near New Castle, and dose some Small game and preditor hunting, Coyotes mainly. Currently he uses .22 rimfire magnum.

For his Birthday I want to up-grade him to a .223 or 22-250 rifle. But since I no longer live in Indiana I am unsure of the game laws about using high power center-fire rifles for small game.

I have written to Indiana DNR several times both E-Mail and snail-mail. and have not received a reply and it has been nearly 6 weeks ago.

Can anyone help me??? What are the regulations about what kind of rifles you may use for small game and preditor hunting

J Budd
Old 06-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

i know in ohio it is completely legal. i just bought a .223 and intend on using it for yotes
Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

I'm no expert but I work in the hunting and fishing section of a sporting goods in Indianapolis. There are no restrictions on the firearms that he can use for coyotes. There are however restrictions on the cartridges used for deer. For the time being I would suggest a 44mag. Its legal for deer and coyotes.

As I said, I'm no expert on the gun laws but I beleive I'm correct that if you're a resident of Ohio you can't purchase a firearm in Indiana. I could be wrong though.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 AM
Spike

yea you can use whatever you want. pretty much as long as that gun is legal in indiana u can shoot a coyote with it. i hav a .308 (i know its a little overkill) and theres no problem.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

I'm up here in the Winamac and Rochester area, the .17's and .204's are pretty common. I use a .204 and most of the shots I get would be pretty tricky with a shotgun or a rifle in 44 mag---these coyotes are very wary and spook easily so there aren't many close shots and they don't seem to stand still for very long--I see the .22 mag as borderline, the .17's, .204, .222, .223 and the .243 would all be ideal although the .243 is more than needed, but it's such a good all around caliber----john