Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

A winter of wolf trapping

Old 05-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Spike

Default A winter of wolf trapping

One day me and my brother took an entire roadkill moose onto a small lake in northern British Columbia. With the moose laying near the shoreline we set 13 snares in the trees, 4 days later we came back and had 8 wolves. By winters end we had used 35 thousand pounds of bait and killed 32 wolves. Every day was like Christmas on the trapline, you just didn't know what you were going to get! Thought you might get a kick out of this and hope it creates some chatter.
Attached Thumbnails A winter of wolf trapping-lloyd_022.jpg   A winter of wolf trapping-hpim0384.jpg   A winter of wolf trapping-hpim0377.jpg   A winter of wolf trapping-089.jpg   A winter of wolf trapping-hpim0036.jpg  

Old 05-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chatter !!!

It's about time "somebody" took some action !!!

Good job guys !!!

It gets me sick when I see wildlife management/Fish & Game sit on their hands when they know "something" has to to done !!!

Thank you !

Last edited by Sheridan; 05-08-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:53 AM
Typical Buck

Goat Guide,
Congrats on the successful season.

Sheridon,
I understand exactly what you mean. All these "environmentalists" are even now forming a group to have the coyote protected and what they don't understand is that these are apex preditors and may require action not to become over abundant.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Dang i love the looks of that! Them look like some BIG Wolves to!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow....i live in texas and we dont have any wolves here...i am wondering what yall do with these.
almost seems to be a waste.
shouldnt there be a bag limit?
we have coyotes here, and i can see whats gonna be said, but it just doesnt seem the same to me.
lookin at that wolf makes me think of the great red oak tree's, especially lookin at the guy holdin that suker up and its just about bigger than he is.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mabye Im wrong, but the only difference I see between wolves and yotes, is size. The more of them, the less game for us. maybe Im selfish, but I want more rabbits, turkeys, deer, elk and moose to hunt, not more wild dogs. A few out there running around is OK I guess. BTW Those things are HUGE!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Spike

These wolves are all skinned and the skulls are cleaned and bleached by us. These wolves have all been taken inside our 5000 square mile guiding territory from multiple packs. This is a managment tool we use to maintain high ungulate populations and the trophies go home with the clients to be put to good use. Still plenty of wolves though and its great having them here but it is important to have the ability to manage their numbers to maintain healthy ungulate population. It is estimated that 1 pack kills 1 moose per week, where we did most of our trapping we went for a look, that day we saw 23 moose and still saw wolf sign in the area, it works!!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Could you post some pics of your snare setup, I've always wanted to get into snaring but I don't have a clue how.

Last edited by Robv2007; 05-09-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Spike

I'm not a religious man, but I'll pray to whoever I need to so that Wisconsin gets a wolf season sometime in the near future. I'll do my damndest to make sure I'm one of the few who gets one.

To the guy in Texas, don't worry, I can vouch for the fact that there are plenty of wolves in Canada. And the US for that matter. I'd love to have the pelt of a big black one I saw a few months ago just a couple miles from my house.

Last edited by CJW19; 05-09-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Spike

I don't have a good picture of our setup for wolves but we work 5 different setups spread out over several thousand square miles. The key to each one is having access to a large volume of bait and rebaiting weekly, also manage your scent. Most of the stations have 40 snares and because there is about 3-4 feet of snow we can direct them on snowshoe trails and set on the trails, so an area thick with small trees works best. DO NOT SET SNARES TO CLOSE TO THE BAIT OR YOU WILL CATCH BIRDS. Freezing the bait in barrels with water slows down the birds from stealing all your bait. If the wolves make new trails when you go back then set more snares on those, with this setup you can get multiple catches in one check, and multiple species(wolf, coyote, and fox). We also use snares for beaver(pole under water), wolverine(pole in the air) and linx(wooden pen with snares at 2-3 enterances).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.