Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Question about shooting squirrels

Old 04-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Spike

Question Question about shooting squirrels

I don't shoot squirrels myself, but a good friend of mine does (she says she "lights and blazes them up") She lives on either 2 or 4 acres of land in PA. Anyway, here's my question:

Does anyone know if it's legal to shoot squirrels on 2 or 4 acres of land in PA? She just opens her front door and blasts away with her shotgun. Is it even legal to shoot squirrels at all in that state if it's not hunting season or if you're not on designated "hunting" grounds? She wants to fire my .44 mag and my Ruger 22/45, so I just want to make sure everything is kosher! If I let her do it, I want it to be a quick and clean kill - I don't want anything suffering. Would a .44 mag and the Ruger 22/45 kill instantly? Like I said, I never fire outside at all - I just go to the shooting range.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally id just use the shotgun,because it wont shoot nearly as far as a .44 Mag.

And a 44 is WAY overkill on a squirrel!A 22 LR or a shotgun of any gauge works perfect.

If you have any questions,just PM me.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Oh yes definitly a 44 would definitly do the job.........well that and more.......well lets just say you wont be able to find the squirrl if you shoot it with that. Boom
I use a BB gun or a 22. LR for ground squirrls I have never had a prob. with killing quickly.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

You know I usually like to go with nothing smaller than a 45-70, those wounded squirrels are pretty dangerous. The first time one charges youll wish you had a bigger gun.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
You know I usually like to go with nothing smaller than a 45-70, those wounded squirrels are pretty dangerous. The first time one charges youll wish you had a bigger gun.
DUDE!!!!tht happened to me!i was usin a 30-06 semi auto,POW,hit ta ground,started walkin towards him,man he went crazy!shot him 2 more times and missed with the last 1,i got scratched up pretty good,but i use nothin smaller than a 338 win mag now.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

when it comes to squirrels anything will do the trick with a well placed shot. if you want a quick humane kill, a 12ga shotgun whould be fine without causing any suffering. for longer ranges, i'd stick with a 22lr or bigger to keep it from suffering if that's what you're trying to avoid. as far as the 44, as said above it would be overkill. that's a lot of firepower for such a small game. think of spearfishing for goldfish and that's about the same thing lol. hope this information helped. good luck to you and your friend.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure if it is legal. I have shot critters in my garden or eating my landscape, which is legal. I use my bow though, so I don't piss of the neighbors.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Westsidegirl310
I don't shoot squirrels myself, but a good friend of mine does (she says she "lights and blazes them up") She lives on either 2 or 4 acres of land in PA. Anyway, here's my question:

Does anyone know if it's legal to shoot squirrels on 2 or 4 acres of land in PA? She just opens her front door and blasts away with her shotgun. Is it even legal to shoot squirrels at all in that state if it's not hunting season or if you're not on designated "hunting" grounds? She wants to fire my .44 mag and my Ruger 22/45, so I just want to make sure everything is kosher! If I let her do it, I want it to be a quick and clean kill - I don't want anything suffering. Would a .44 mag and the Ruger 22/45 kill instantly? Like I said, I never fire outside at all - I just go to the shooting range.
A .44 mag is waaayyy to small! You need to up it, to at least a 7mm that way they will for sure not suffer.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Arrow

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
A .44 mag is waaayyy to small! You need to up it, to at least a 7mm that way they will for sure not suffer.
What?!?!?

A 44 is waaaay to big
A 44 could kill a moutain lion.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

na a 44 is WAYYYY WAyyY to small for tree rats!theyre more dangerous than the big 5 in africa!ask my cousin jeff,he'll tell ye,went to pick 1 up after he shot it with the 357 mag right in the head,lil retard bout ripped his throat out!it was horrific

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.