Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.17hmr recomendations

Old 03-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Ridge Runner,
Sorry, but I can't let this go without making one point. You said in your previous statement that every smith you've talked to has told you that a heavy barrel shoots straighter. Were they at the time trying to sell you a rifle? Just had to ask.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am pretty sure RR is right... Heavier, thicker barrel makes a more accurate gun. I don't know why anyone is arguing?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't really have a dog in this fight in regard to barrel thickness and accuracy. However, this whole discussion made me curious and so i did a google search using "accuracy of thick rifle barrels." You do get quite a bit of stuff indicating that a thick barrel tends to be more accurate for the reasons discussed by Ridge Runner. I have attached one such discussion below. Dunno how expert these guys are, however.....

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9051127AAh3oYT
Old 03-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Bull barrels are around because of HEAT SOAK. That is why we have fluting. It makes the barrel a little lighter but that is not the reason. Fluting makes for more surface area, heat can only radiate so fast from so much surface area. The only way to get rid of more is increase the surface area.
Just look at any thing that has to dump a lot of heat real fast, like radiators. They don't have all those funny little frills at the front for the looks u know.

I just had to say this about bull barrels, its far easier to hold a rifle still if its heavier at the muzzle when using a by-pod or try-pod.
I do the same thing with the bow, its easier to shoot accurately with a weight stuck out on the ends of a stick than it is stock.