Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote attack!!!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Coyote attack!!!

Has anyone been attacked by a pack of coyotes before?
I was walkin back to my atv from setting traps, and coyote calling ( I was walkin in the dark) I was crossin this one meadow when I saw a a quick movement and than another! I froze and shined my whimpy l.e.d flashlight In the direction of the movement And saw green eyes!
I made out at least three set of eyes! They were movin in on me and I could here some growling as well. I tried not to act scared and made myself look as big as possible and I would yell at them but they would just crouch down. I knew I needed a plan soon, I could see the atv, so i decided to make a break for it, I yelled and then took off probably as fast as I have ever ran..... but i slipped and it my head on some ice I thought I was a goner but I jumped back up with blood pourin from my head I yelled at the yotes and threw Ice junks at em, then I made another attempt to my atv and all in one motion I jumped on the seat hit the ignition and flipped the head lights on. and I saw them dissapear In the brush.
And drove away with only a gash going down the side of my face (from hitting the ice)! No teeth marks whew! Me and my bro went back the next day to investigate and found three pairs of coyote tracks that followed my tracks they had stalked me all the way from my traps to the meadow! The reason I think is because I was carrying bacon grease for my traps ( good coyote lure ). Isnt it kinda rare though for coyotes to act like that?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

oh ya and my shotgun was jammed!!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Pretty scary!!, and I can see it happening, My trapping days are long gone, and although I had some strange happenings I never encountered that!, dogs a couple of times, BUT, whenever I worked my trap line I was never without a revolver, I grew up in cat country and although I never had to use it, it was comforting to know it was in my jacket pocket. A revolver will rarely let you down, it can lay at rest for years and yet when you need it all you have to do is pull the trigger,(no springs,no clips,) granted all you get is 5 or 6 shots but that is more than enough to discourage a coyote pack, or a cat, I don't like the idea that you ran, (coyotes run down their dinner) (but thats easy for me to say). glad things worked out. Doc
Old 02-14-2010, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

i've had a couple tail me from about 20 yds. away at night before but i never felt threatened by them. i think they were just curious. all i had on me were a knife and crossbow.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

ya I am savin up for a pistol, Its not the first time I have been attacked by some sorta animal. And I knew that coyotes chased down there prey but it was either stand there and let them have a free dinner, or I could make em work for it ha ha. I firgured I could beat them back with my shotgun If they pursued me.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

wow! well I hope that was the last time for me once is enough!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is not uncommon for coyotes to attack at people, at least not up this way. Although it is not an every day occurance either. One guy a wood cutter was chased to his pick-up truck and had to jump on back of it. The only weapon he had at the time was a chainsaw. So he started it up and revd it and after a while the yotes left him alone long enough for him to get in the truck.. Mostly though coyotes leave people alone none the less..
Old 02-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

ha ha yikes!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

If you are attacked and dont have a gun, go for the lower jaw. grab it ( via the mouth) a sqeeze for all you got. It works on biting dogs. You might get bit, but when you get him by the jaw he is at your mercy. O yeah dont let go till youve whipped him.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

up where i bow hunt all year the yotes are in packs and when nov. dec. comes around they group up in 15-20. It always sent chills down my spine when they howled right at dark next to the camper when i was still in the stand and then you hear 1 or 2 loud long deep howls that werent yotes.
I was at a bar up there where a guy was saying his brother is a farmer and was working up land last year. The truck was on the other side of the field and his tractor broke down. As soon as it shut off 2 wolves came out of the woods and circled him in the tractor. He always carries a 9 mm pistol and fired up in the air. They took off and he walked to his truck. It was light out when this happened imagine if it was dark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.