Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coon trappen?

Old 02-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coon trappen?

Ok I have trapped for a few years and had very little succes with catchen what I want when I want a coon its a oppossum when I want a yote its a oppssum i woulda figured i woulda shot to many oppossums for them to still be around in such abundance but they are...so my question is what is my set sposed to look like for coon I always use bread with peanut butter in it and have caught amost everything with it but what do I use that only a coon or atleast mainly a coon will go after?

help is appreciated as always
Old 02-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Sometimes your only choice is to thin down the 'possum population before you can catch the critters you're after. One option that has worked for me is to get as close to the 'coons denning area as possible, that way the coons are more likely to find your sets before the possums. Try to locate the largest tree in a woodlot also, not sure why but coons seem to visit those whether or not its a den tree. If there's water nearby and deep enough, drowning sets are very effective and seems to produce very few possums. As for land sets, I prefer #11 double jaw long springs, and the basic dirt hole set. Coons can be lured with just about anything, but fish and or shellfish oil is hard to beat IMO.

Shellfish Essence Oil
Old 02-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

thank ya very much i have snow right now and I HATE!!!having to set traps in snow cause around here snow doesnt stay for long and i gues animals know that and they stay pretty denned up till it melts.....anyways thanks again as soon as the snow melts i am gonna try this