Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

fox trapping tips

Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Spike

Default fox trapping tips

New to this, and was wondering if any of you had tips for fox, im assuming its relatively close to trapping yotes, Im curious of what size traps to use and baits
Old 01-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Hi Ayunk04,

There is a lot more info available on this site than I could provide, but I can give you a couple ideas for a start. I use Northwoods 1 1/2 coil spring traps with swivels at both ends and the middle. They are easy to bed and have worked great for me. I use mostly lure without bait to avoid catching too many slick tails and skunks. This time of year I use a gland lure and I am also very fond of Carmens Prochoice and straight red fox urine. I set mostly dirt hole and flat sets along trail intersections, but there are many other sets that work just as well. I generally make two sets at each location as this time of year especially I will get doubles (male and female). I have not been trapping in a few years but am going to start in the next week to try and get a coyote or two as I have never caught one and they are now prevelant in our area. Hope some of this is of help. Best of luck to ya, Bud-
Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Well this gent covered it pretty good. I can only add a location that works for me. Right at the edge of a field in the woods. I noticed when calling, a lot of them would run the edge before committing to enter the field. I set that way and have good results. Around here greys love the thick undergrowth next to fields. And reds like the open areas right next to a field.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Look at my post on fur info needed I talked about fox trapping well it should really help you.

Last edited by thunderchickenfrenzy; 01-30-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Spike

thanks for the advice
Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Spike

Can you snares where you live? They work too plus they are cheaper. Just set up on trails and where they cross under fences and stuff.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

here you go;

http://www.trapperman.com/

Good luck.............
Old 02-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Spike

Depending on where your located and whether you ve got snow on the ground the most simplest set in my opinion would be the hay set. I stake two 1 1/2 coild springs close together and then run the chains out as far as they 'll go in opposite directions of each other. Then i take a big clump of hay throw it over the stakes and sprinkle some over the traps just to cover the outline of the trap. I then put a few squirts of red fox urine in the middle of the hay and then put about a peas size red fox gland lure on each side of the mound where the traps are. Its worked out pretty well for me and its very simple
Old 02-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

I like using the 11/2 trap, and my fav. set is a dirthole set

If there is alot of snow i go to a #2 trap has a bit more power

find some fox track or other sign and if you set where you know they are you prob. get one if you do not leave to much scent to keep your scent down wear some kind of gloves and rubber boots

like i said above i like using the dirthole set with Bait of your choice down the hole and some fox urine on the backing..

set on SIGN and you will have a great chanc at a red fox