Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote hunting help

Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Coyote hunting help

HI guys i'm from eastern ohio and i ahve been tryin to get rid of some coyotes on my place.i belong to a sportsmans club and they have a couple thousand acres to hunt. i ahve been tryin a ton of differnt things. i start out howling and go to a distress sometimes at the end i put out a KiYi i'm just not havin any luck i know there are coyotes there but it's just not workin for me right now.

Any info would be great
Old 01-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Well a coyote is by far the wariest animal I have ever seen. They have better noses and eyes than any deer. They always come from downwind. If it is legal, electronic calls are about the best thing I have seen. And you need to have a fluffy decoy that moves with the wind. Coyote hunting is the ultimate hunt that I have been on, they are some crafty animals. A nice ground blind that is camouflaged in well might be in order too.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

RR - western yotes do the same.

Go there at dusk and wait till one hour after sunset and listen for them.

Then you'll know where to hunt...........the first one is the hardest !

As always...................experience is the best teacher !!!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Spike

Coyotes are definitely very challenging animals to hunt. As stated in previous posts they are wary and intelligent.

I just started coyote hunting last year and have actually only shot one which i killed on my first trip out last year(which oddly enough was Martin Luther King Day which happens to be tomorrow), so i am by no means an expert or have very much experience for that fact(im only 18). But, i have read about hunting coyotes and have learned a few things.

Ive read that they actually start mating in late january into february. Since it is now mid jan, they will prob start searching for partners in the next couple weeks. Now is a good time to start hearing some howls as they search for mates.

A method that could work is to scout for areas in which coyotes can be heard howling. Set up either right after daylight or within the last 1-2 hrs of daylight. Coyotes will use the terrain and wind to come in to a call so your setup is very crucial. i live in SW PA so our terrain is somewhat similar and visibility in some areas can be limited. You said youve used some howls before and now is a good time to use them. Use a long drawn out howl then pause. If a coyote is in the area it is likely that it will answer back. and hopefully, within time come in to your calls. it may take some time especially if the coyotes have been called to before.

Another situation which can work is after a heavy snowfall with very cold, frigid temperatures. These were the conditions for my successful first hunt last year. Six fresh inches of snow and about a week of highs in the low 20s and lows down to single digits some nights. When it gets this cold coyotes need to eat more than usual so they are more active during daylight hours and are also on the move more often and travel further than normal, increasing your odds of calling one in. Now for calls in this situation, you might want to try a cottontail in distress, or distressed rodent. Set up with the wind and terrain to your advantage and do several series of calls lasting 20sec to a min long. i havent really found a good time yet to call for but mine actually came in after the second series while i was silent. This method can be VERY successful if the conditions are right, which now seems it could be awhile before we get any substancial snow accumulation.

It may also be a good idea to bring a buddy along, increasing your odds of seeing a coyote.

I hope this post helped.
Good Luck!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

well i'm goin to try and get some hope all this helpd