Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Any tips on trapping Coyotes

Old 01-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Any tips on trapping Coyotes

I have never trapped before in my life but I would like to start. Our coyote population is getting rather large and they are very weary when it comes to calls. Any tips would be very appreciated .
Old 01-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Spike

I ran a trap line with 150 traps back in the 80"s. The best set for coyotes was a water set. I would look where they would cross a creek, then place branches around the trap to funnel them to a smaller trail. You can also place sticks or small branches in the mud to make a small fence if necessary. Then put a branch/small log in front and behind the trap so they are forced to step into the trap. I never would stake the trap down, but wire the trap to a really long (not rotten) branch or small log that would get hung up in the area. The furthest the coyotes ever got was 100 yards, but the log drag was easy to follow in that case. Once it is set up, don't come in close to check the trap, because you want to keep your scent down to a minimum. This works good for other critters too.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

set on sign if the yotes are there you will have a huge chance of catching them

try using a dirthole set with some bait/lure