Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

As 2009 Season Winds Down...

Old 12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default As 2009 Season Winds Down...

The weather here hasn't been very conducive to hunting the last few days, and our deer season ends on Sunday. I have been seeing a lot of tracks but not much on my cameras. I decided to change my tactics. I moved a ground blind into the edge of my parent's pasture on a creek bank close to where there is a major game crossing. I have seen hog, coyotes, and deer using the crossing, so there is no telling what might show itself. I sat in the blind yesterday evening and got skunked, and I went back this morning at daylight. The weather was foggy, and as the morning wore on, it began to clear out. I have errands to get done today before the holiday tomorrow, and I decided to sit until 9am.

By 8:30, all I had seen was squirrels and crows, and I had decided that at 9 I was going to shoot a crow and leave. At just before 9, all the crows made a hasty exit as if they knew something wasn't right, and I have learned to trust the senses of birds and squirrels to tell me when something is coming. I got my gun ready, and low and behold, out stepped a big coyote. BANG! FLOP! My son had seen three coyotes last Friday, so I decided to stay a little longer just in case. This decision was rewarded. Not two minutes after I killed the first yote, another stepped out from the same trail. He must have sensed something wasn't right and began trotting up the woodline, but he made a fatal mistake. He stopped. BANG! FLOP! I stayed in the blind for another 30 minutes, but nothing else came out. The first coyote was about 50 yards, and second was 80.

Just so you know, a 250 gr Accubond out of a 9.3x62 will literally KNOCK THE **** out of a coyote.

Here are a couple of pictures of my blind, my Tracker, and the yotes.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are a couple of nice looking yotes.

Congratulations!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:38 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

dynamite!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

hell yea. some fur for the collection, good job
Old 01-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

What kind of gun are you using?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:57 PM