Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.17 HMR shooting lousy

Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default .17 HMR shooting lousy

Today was my first squirrel hunt of the season. I couldn't wait to drop some after they were prancing all around in deer rifle season. So I took my .17 hmr to shoot, which worked excellent for groundhogs this summer, first time using for squirrels. Started off with a miss at 10 yards. Few minutes later I miss 2 more times, can't figure this out. 15 minutes later 4 misses on one squirrel, not even close. At that point I was disgusted and left the stand to shoot the gun at a target, pie plate on plywood. It wasn't even hitting that, so I aimed in the middle of the wood, and finally saw where it was shooting. 1 1/2' to the right!! 70 clicks later of the scope and I was good to go. I don't think that many clicks for a scope is good. I don't know how it got off that bad from this summer. So I headed back out and managed to get 2 squirrels, but not the slaughtering I was expecting. Has this surprise ever happened to any one else?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

What do you mean, when you say "70 clicks" of the scope ? Not for 1 1/2 ''.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
What do you mean, when you say "70 clicks" of the scope ? Not for 1 1/2 ''.
His post said 1 1/2' (foot).
Old 12-17-2009, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

make sure all your mounts are tight. i just sighted in a .44 MAG revolver for a guy. he said it was right on but he missed a couple of deer with it and wasnt sure was wrong. it was shooting 10inches to the right and a foot high.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm lucky. I zeroed my .17 in about 6 years ago and it has not needed any adjustments since.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I checked the scope and it is solid, it came mounted when I bought it. It was in a soft case for a couple months before I put it in my gun cabinet. I never bumped or dropped it, so I don't understand how bad it was off.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

That stuff sometimes just happens. My suggestion is take it a shooting range where you can get it exactly right.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Start over !!!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Its possible that it got bumped and moved, or there are tons of other factors. On my 17, I have a sweet 17 scope so i know if i bump it off or not. Other than that it must be loose screws or something?