Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote urine dripper question

Old 12-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default coyote urine dripper question

My dad's been complaining about the growing 'yote problem where he lives (near Prattville, AL). Mom's upset 'cause all of "her" cats are...nobody seem'em in a long time. Their neighbor claims to have seen a coyote playing with her dogs in the morning once or twice.

I was thinking of hanging a dripper with 'yote urine in the trees in the back. It's still a fairly rural area, so no problems discharging firearms. How long generally do you have to let one hang before setting up on it? I've never done this, so I'm asking you guys with experience.

I've got a small e-caller from Primos, 4 sounds. I'll have access to a .270 which would prolly make a mess of one. Would a .22LR have enough umph to so it? If you've done this, and/or have hunted yotes in AL, I'd be interested in hearing your advice.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

if you are sitting over the drip you may want to use a 12 gauge with a turkey load in it... ill will definitely kill the 'yote without destroying it... as for how long to wait i dont know, i usually go out in the early morning and i try to call them in with a mouth call (they work pretty well, and arnt to expensive).
Old 12-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

All I have to say is use the .270. Who cares? Blow that sucker to smitherines.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot him and you can tell us what you decided to use afterwards !!!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

i love hunting this method (it works best if you invest in a coyote decoy). find an area where you're almost positive they're close. set up your dripper UPWIND from where you believe they are (along with the decoy if you have one). walk either direction away but make sure you aren't going further upwind or else they'll be able to smell you too. dont make ANY calling except maybe a little bit of howling or barking, and wait for them to catch a smell of the coyote piss and come check out who's in their territory. blast em.

if you want the best scent around, get real coyote piss. this can be free too. just empty the bladder from other coyotes you've killed and save the piss in a bottle. works best, just don't spray it on yourself as a cover scent lol
Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

if your gonna use a .22 lr, your gonna have to get real close and be a real sharp shooter. and i mean bein able to pick out a hair and hit that hair. that hairs gonna have to be on the head somewhere over the brain, have fun.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by yote_slayer
if your gonna use a .22 lr, your gonna have to get real close and be a real sharp shooter. and i mean bein able to pick out a hair and hit that hair. that hairs gonna have to be on the head somewhere over the brain, have fun.
i'd prefer a heart shot if possible, at least if you're trying to save the full hide all the way to the head or if you're saving the skulls like i do. then again, i forgot this was information about using a 22lr, so any holes wouldn't be hard to patch up anyways lol
Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

The shotguns the ticket inside 50 yards if you got a twelve gauge