Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New to trapping, need help!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Spike

Default New to trapping, need help!!!

I am new to trapping, and need help. I have already bought the trap and a stake, so im ok there. I primarily want to get coyotes, but bobcat and fox is good too. Im just trying to clear our farm of predators so our deer and turkey population rise. Thanks gentleman!

Last edited by osagematt; 12-09-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

First - if you are looking to kill the predators on your property, I recommend shooting them.

Second - if you plan on trapping, you are going to need more then one trap.

What is your plan ?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Spike

I dont have a plan, thats why im asking for help. I have already shot one this year, but while I hunt them I can also trap them to furthur eradicate them from my property.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

If snares are legal there you may want to give them a try.Theyre cheap and all you have to do is hang them in a trail at the right heigth and with the right size loop for what your after and blend them in a little.

You can cover a lot more ground and catch a lot more critters with a dozen or so snares than you will with one leghold.

If your after yotes your gonna need to stake the trap well and use a good trap or your gonna come back to find your set destroyed and your yote gone.

What size foothold and what type of staking do you have now?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

dirtholes. use deer meat.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

What size trap??

how long is the stake if it is not big enough you will have to cross stake or you will lose the trap and the animal

for a set try using a dirthole set with some kind of meat as bait

and you are going to need more than 1 trap out or you will prob. not catch much if anything at all

you are going to need a big enough trap that will stand up to much abuse coyotes will ruin your traps quickly!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dig a "pit" +/- 1' deep (3X3) put table scraps, fresh road kill (you get the idea) in the pit and cover with lite dirt, leaves and twiggs.

Good location is near to water, any food source (field mice) and thick cover.

Once you feel that you have had some good traffic visiting your "free lunch spot";

Place your traps in the pit with lite dirt, leaves and twiggs on top.

Use enough traps so that they will trip them from any angle they enter or get a second leg caught as they step to excape.

Insure your stakes are secure and concealed.

Lastly, use rubber gloves and scent or scent cover.

Send pictures.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

If you are going to use snares (Make sure legal) try finding the thickest cover aroundput some deer scraps around and other tastey things they will make trails coming into this bait station hang snares there thats always kinda easy to do

Have fun
Old 12-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Here is a pic of a dirthole set (my version)

Old 12-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Put bait/lure down the hole and squirt some fox/yote urine on the backing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.