Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

no dirthole sets for fox!

Old 11-26-2009, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default no dirthole sets for fox!

new to trapping fox, everybody says use dirthole sets but the ground is frozen here with no snow and ideas
Old 11-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

use a pocke set or maybe a pvc set. flat sets work good too
Old 12-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

you can still make dirthole sets.Theyre more work but you can chip the bed out, I carry a hatchet and use that to make the bed.Youll need dry dirt to sift back over it, you can find this in old barns or under bridges.For the hole just take a stake or an old pipe and drive it into the ground and pull it back out.I trapped for 2 months in frozen ground last year and managed to keep everything working most of the time, but it was a pain in the butt at times.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Ya use dirthole sets they will still work use peatmoss or dry dirt there are other things that will help prevent the set from freezing...I collect my dry dirt a week or 2 before the season starts and store it in the barn so it is good and dry for the season..
Old 12-10-2009, 06:19 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

As the others have said you will have to get some dry dirt to bed the traps. I have a 2lb hammer that has a back hoe tooth welded onto one side to dig the trap beds.

You can mix salt in the dirt to keep from freezing, wouldn't recommend that unless you are waxing your traps however. Very hard on the steel if they aren't waxed good. Salt can also keep the dirt moist and you will have a perfect outline of your trap bed visible to all. Coyotes won't go near it, fox may.

I prefer to use dry dirt.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Ya try using dry dirt but if none is available use salt
Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

salt your dirt. you can use dirtholes after you make your trap bed put some pith from a log or leaves to bed the trap bed with. then set the trap on top and use more leaves to cover it. i personally like wax paper to put under my trap but thats me...