Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Suspected Coydog has taken residence

Old 10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Suspected Coydog has taken residence

I've been talking with a work crew that is on our property and they keep seeing a what looks like a big-bodied coyote in the middle of the day. It isn't making aggressive moves, but will watch the workers from a distance. That and the robust size has us thinking it might be a hybrid, perhaps one that got dumped.

This property is semi-public and on the edge of the city limits. The fact that this animal doesn't have a coyote's nocturnal habits or normal skittishness makes me very concerned.

After reading this, does anyone share my feeling that I need to get a rifle shot into it ASAP?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:25 PM
SDK
Spike

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
After reading this, does anyone share my feeling that I need to get a rifle shot into it ASAP?
Yes- But make sure you glass it and get a good look first, especially for a collar. It may just be someones lost dog. Shouldn't be too difficult to check if it's out during the day...
Old 10-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you need to get the spotting scope on it, before you put a bullet in the gun
Old 10-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Spike

Be wary of it for sure. While I don't have experience with many coyotes wolves are very prominent in my area and I have definitely seen some messed up dogs (e.g. stray from the pack, in town during the day, not afraid of humans or cars) and typically the mange wolves are very skinny.

So the fact that it has a big body makes one wonder. Perhaps a shy stray dog? Small dog bread with a huskie maybe? Like I said we don't have yotes here so I don't know what it would take to make a dog look like a coyote.

Call the local vet or game warden and have them shoot it with a tranquilizer. You'd feel horrible if you shot someones pet; not a chance worth taking
Old 10-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually got to watch a coydog a couple years ago.I sat in my deer stand and every few days it would show up, not close enough to shoot but close eough to watch.

It would hunt mice and small game in the terraces about 150 yards south of me.Im pretty sure it knew I was there and just stayed away from me.It was larger and darker than a normal yote but looked pretty much like one in all other respects.It always showed up in the evening before sundown and walked the terraces one at a time checkinmg the weeds on the sides of them.

funny thing was there was also a litter of young yotes in that section at the time and they stayed away from each other.The younger ones showed absolutely no fear of me, one was even checking out my truck one night when I walked out and I got within 40 yrds of him, he just walked away finally.They all looked like normal, juvenile coyotes and I assume they were just curious.

They were fun to watch but finally one night one of the young ones decided to follow me out of the weed patch and he got a little to close for my liking.I couldnt kill him through the weeds with my bow but I sent one of my buddies out that likes to hunt yotes and he got several of them and the rest went away after that including the big black one that the guy never got a shot at.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be glassing it this afternoon.

This is all very helpful. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Spike

every coyote deserves a lead injection, I pick em off any chance I get