Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

marlin mod 60 versus ruger 10/22

Old 05-28-2003, 01:40 PM

Default marlin mod 60 versus ruger 10/22

I' ve tried both and i cant feel a big difference, the marlin has a tube but thats no big deal so why pat so much more, which is better?
they are both nice guns but the ruger is 239.00 and the marlin is 185.00
whats up? sould I really pay more? check em out at www.marlinfirearms.com and www.ruger.com
Thanks!
-hotgunner
Old 05-29-2003, 09:17 AM

Default RE: marlin mod 60 versus ruger 10/22

Are you buying a magnum or are these regular .22 Long Rifle actions? If it isn' t a magnum, you are paying about $50 over what I can get either of those rifles for. I can get the Marlin for $129 and the Ruger for $179. If they are magnums, thats another story. In my opinion, the higher price for the Ruger is for the name, and if I was buying one for what it is with no future modifications in mind, I would choose the Marlin 60. I think they are a little more accurate out of the box where as to get the Ruger to do the same you usually have to hang a different barrel on it. But that is just my experience and someone else may say different.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

add ons and accessories for the ruger are endless. not so with the marlin.

get the ruger. you' ll be glad you did.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You' re getting dipped if you pay $185 for a marlin, I paid $159 for my dad' s a year ago (1st night of coon hunting season gift), his is the Stainless/walnut version, he paid $109 for mine a year prior to that for my X-mas present. As far as I' m concerned, you' re right, the Marlin is every bit as accurate as the Ruger, some are moreso, and they cost about half as much, even when you compare the Stainless Marlin to the ' base' Ruger. The only real advantage that the Ruger has over the Marlin is the detachable magazines, but as far as I' m concerned, who needs it? I can reload my tube almost as fast as I could put in a new mag when I was using a 10/22, Sonic has straws that just fit a .22lr round down in them, they' ll eat 8 I think, so two straws is a reload exactly. There' s the turn around too, with a ruger, you get ten and then reload, in the marlin you get 60% more capacity, 16rnds that is.

I' ve used Marlin 60' s, 66' s, and 99' s for all of my life (all the same actions, 66=60 plus two rounds more capacity and different stock, 99=60 minus 6 rounds capacity and stocked to look like a mini M-1Carbine), and have had the occasional 10/22 sneak into the safe, and all but one of the Rugers have left LONG before dying, while each replacement on the Marlins have been necessary, as I shoot the daylights out of them, a brick or two a week. The rugers just weren' t as much fun for me, to shoot or to pay for, and for sure aren' t as good at coon hunting. Accidentally lose a couple straws when you' re in the creek, big deal, lose a mag, and you' re out 20-30 bucks, ejecting a mag while it' s on your back kind of sucks too, since you' re out the magazine, and you now have a huge gaping hole in the belly of your action for crud to crawl into. Not to mention reloading a rotary magazine really sucks compared to reloading a tube.

As far as I' m concerned, the only 10/22 I' ll ever own again will be a custom race gun, and wouldn' t be in the same class as the factory Ruger 10/22, or the Marlin 60. For reliability, money, capacity, and looks, the Marlin gets the nod, and the accuracy is equal if not better (greatly dependant on the individual gun/load combo) in the marlin, so why pay 2-3x as much just to get detachable mags?
Old 05-29-2003, 12:24 PM

Thanks, hey pyral--normal .22lr
thanks everyone, nomercy I agree why pay as much? once I save enough and get the ok from my dad I' ll be going Marlin model 60--- guys, one more question, what kind of low price scope would work for this gun?
thanks
-hotgunner[8D]
Old 05-30-2003, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the Stainless version Marlins, a 4xsomething-mm Tasco is included, it' s pretty cheap, but for a .22, it' s fine, it holds zero (not that it' s getting kicked at all) and it focuses well. I forget the parallax setting on them, but I rarely miss with mine, getting 1.25-1.5" groups at 75-100yrds isn' t usually a problem with that glass on my marlin.

There are a ton of cheap little 4x glasses at wally world that work just fine for .22 shooting, and unless you' re wanting better than 100yrds (which the round isn' t really good for anyway), a 4x is more than enough. Tasco is crappy, but you don' t need a cadillac glass on a .22lr that you paid $110 for, there' s just no reason to put a $40 saddle on a $5 horse.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:10 PM

i couldn' t agree with you fellas more. i just bought a mon 60 two days ago down at bass pro for $108. it was originally 130 but they matched walmarts price of 108. then i got a great scope on it. they showed me a simmons 4x32 .22 scope and it is perfect. it cost 49 dollars and they mounted and boresighted it. i got the whole shabang for $170. not bad at all. all i needed it for is to sit in the yard and shoot rabbits out of the garden. they are eating everyone of my landlords watermelon and cantalope plants. he told me to shootem so that was the only excuse i needed for a new 22. anyway i love the gun and would strongly recomend it.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:09 PM

thanks a ton guys-- mod 60 is for me and with all that youve told me I think is a good idea, thanks to all that responded, good luck with the rabbits, click!
-hotgunner
Old 06-04-2003, 08:59 AM

hotgunner21 get the 10/22 Ruger. You can get all kinds of parts for it through Cabales or other outlets. You can also purchase spare magazines ( 10 round ) just about any sports store. I have purchased two 10/22 one blued and one stainless for me and my grandson.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:23 PM

Bauer, I respect your opinion[:-] but I am not planning on adding on and I dont want to pay too much cash, I also dont think retractible magazines are worth a hundred and some more. plus no mags to lose and anyways it holds more ammo-not that I would need it- its still kinda nice. Rugers are sweet but I see no difference exept mag and length
-hotgunner

Quick Reply: marlin mod 60 versus ruger 10/22

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.