Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

quite .223 for town dogs

Old 07-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default quite .223 for town dogs

i was wondering if anybody had reduced load for a .223 rem that is not so loud that it will wake up the neighbors in town about 100 yards away.we have too many yotes close to where i live in town but the noly good place to set up on them barely outside of town.sure could use a little help.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: quite .223 for town dogs

Ok, I don' t know where you live, all circumstances are different, here where I live, there is a nearby town of like 25people, and about 75dogs running loose, I' ve done my share of eradicating the problematic ones, usually when they stray from the ' city limits' (it' s unincorporated, so it' s actually not a town=no city limits, legally it' s just a gathering of country homes with a bank and a key station).

That said, it' s really dangerous to go shooting towards people' s homes, for their safety firstly, and for the fact that you could be sued or arrested even if nothing gets damaged.

As far as getting away with shooting in town, you didn' t hear this from me, but it' s best to use a round that is still accurate UNDER 1100fps, really right around 1000fps is ideal, since they can be ' completely' surpressed, over 1100fps, the bullet will produce a sonic boom upon leaving the bbl, not very quietly either. Most down loaded .223' s I' ve seen that slow aren' t accurate, I' ve rolled .45colt rounds for rifles that were incredibly accurate out to 100-150yrds, but were quite quiet without a surpressor, I can' t imagine what it would have been like with one (and I' ll continue to imagine of course, since they are illegal to obtain, posess and construct). If you can get your .223 down to under 1000fps accurately, and maybe add in a muzzle baffle of some sort (a rather long muz-flash suppressor that is moreso enclosed than usual) would help the issue.