Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coon dog problems

Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Spike

Default coon dog problems

i got an english that wont bark on tree. I mean zero any advise for me.

Also what type of coon scent should i use if i dont have a real coon. The only type i can find around me is urine dont no if thats right so let me no.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:53 PM

When i started young dogs i used live coons. I would put them in a roll cage and try to git the dog fired up. Then once they started barking at it i would throw a rope over a tree limb and pull the cage up six or eight feet.Then tease the dog that usally worked for me. I hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

treeing is one of those things that a hound either got or it dont...not much you can do to make a dog into a TREE DOG.

how old is the dog??

what kind of training has been done thus far???

the only training i ever do is show them a caged coon and see how they react...if they dont go bonkers, i'll wait a month or 2 and do it again...most guys make the mistake of trying to make a puppy do a hounds job...i disagree..thats like sending a toddler to college for a month then expecting it to hit the work force and make it...just dont usually work out well...i like to wait till they are atleast 8-12months or longer before i train them at all...before that they get to be a pup...they also get taught the basics..how to walk on a lead, commands, manners, truck loading and unloading etc...

after i show them a caged coon once or twice and they show intrest, i will let them get fired up good and tie them back...then take the coon out in the daytime and release is so the dog can watch it run off...i will then give the coon a good head start till its to the wood line atleast before i let the hound go...i dont want it to catch it on the ground i want it to tree it...

after that 2 times, i'll do it out of site and see what the dog does...if it dont hunt on its own you can walk to the area you released it and see what it does...

after it does fine with that i'll do the same at night just like im hunting...

then i like to start young dogs with old dogs once in a while...not EVERY time...and i like to run them over feeders once in a while so i know i can send the dog down the creek and its going to hit a hot track...

everyone got their own methods and opinions but thats how i do it...

id recommend buying both volumes of "walk with wick" excellent reads on training and hunting coon hounds...

i dont know how much you already know so i posted incase you dont know much about training hounds...

i really dont know how to make a dog tree that doesnt tree...its in instinct and really cant be taught IMO...only thing i can think of is try to get it fired up...get another dog on the tree that goes nuts and let him tree and see if that wont teach the dog what it should be doin...if that dont work another time maybe tie your dog back and pet and praise the other dog and get the other dog good n fired up and shoot the coon down to it and keep your dog tied back...let it watch the other dog have all the fun...

as for scents, IMO i wouldnt bother with them...get yourself a live trap and get the real deal...worst comes to worst, skin a FRESH roadkill and use that pelt for training...i like to live trap mine...i can do more with them than a pelt IMO...

important to pet and praise and get your dog fired up through its training to let it know its doing good...
Old 08-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Todd 326
When i started young dogs i used live coons. I would put them in a roll cage and try to git the dog fired up. Then once they started barking at it i would throw a rope over a tree limb and pull the cage up six or eight feet.Then tease the dog that usally worked for me. I hope this helps.
Can you do this with a squirrel?
To get a dog to look for, and tree squirrels?

Thank You