Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

tips and tricks wanted

Old 08-10-2009, 04:44 PM

Question tips and tricks wanted

hello
me and my buddy just got stationed in ft.bliss,tx (el paso). we've decided to start mountain lion hunting.

from what i gathered so far, i have found out; its difficult to kill one with out dogs ( this is the way we will be hunting), people call them in while coyote hunting at times, they kill an animal eat some of it and burry it for later, they mound up dirt and twigs and urinate in the pile to mark territory, they can cover alot ground, mostly nocturnal and are loners but sometimes have been seen in small packs.

some info that i would like, but cant find is: how do you locate an area where there are lions? do they live up to there name and only live in mountains? or can you find them in flat lands also? do they travel a certain way?(i.e. around the top of ridges, or along game trails) how do i know if ive found a good spot to hunt? what kind of predator calls do they best respond too?( ive heard stuff like fawn distress calls) best hunting techniques? distance away from a good spot to set up a blind? precautions?

i really just want to bleed all the information i can out of you guys.

i plan of using a savage arms model 110 30-06 with a 6-18x50mm bushnell banner series scope. and shooting remington 150 gr. bullets. ( i know the rifle is over kill but its all i have)

i have also heard that mountain lions will hunt you while your hunting them, and i planned on carrying a 12 gauge pump with me also, is there any need for this?

Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I were to tell you that one of the guys I hunt with called one in the other day while he was coyote hunting.

So, I don't like hunting them with dogs.

For me, I would feel like I am squirel hunting shooting something out of a tree.

Hunt anywhere you can find cattle, sheep, deer, turkeys, etc.

Be near a water source and good cover but work the hill tops.

Carry a sidearm and watch your backtrail.

Should be a very exciting hunt.............!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Carry a sidearm and watch your backtrail.

Get a guide untile you know wwhat you are doing.
Or at least go with an expearenced mountain loin hunter.
Going, and not knowing what you are doing, could get you Killed.

JMHO
Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best way to locate them is the same way that the hound hunters do, find fresh tracks in fresh snow. The fresher the track the better your chance of catching up with the cat.
If you're going to call them, guys use electronic calls with mtn. lion sounds and also use some distress sounds. Both work. BUT, not all states allow the use of the e-callers for mtn. lions, CO. for example allows only hand calls. IF you can use an ecaller, that will help get the cats attention away from you, and will hopefully help you keep from being the hunted.

To try to go into an area with zero tracking snow and find a mtn. lion would be like finding a needle in a hay stack. Even with fresh snow and fresh tracks, it'll be tough to even see the cat.

I wouldn't carry to long guns for sure, and if you're not proficient with a handgun, I wouldn't recommend carrying it either. You're over scoped too, need a scope that can go down to at least 3 power, in case of close action.

Sheridan, one good aspect of shooting a treed mtn. lion is you get to make a well thoguht out choice as to weather or not you want to kill the cat. If it's a female, or a young male, many times guys will pass on the cat. That same decision isn't so much of a choice otherwise.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 AM

that would be a good idea( about the guide) but from what im seeing so far mountain lion hunting isnt too popular and the army doesnt give me alot of money haha. how often is it that a lion will try to get you while your hunting it?

thanks for the input all of you

well it will be like finding a needle in a hay stack, im in el paso,tx and it doesnt snow often here, i havent really used handguns alot, i think my buddy will be bringing his, and there is no closed season on mountain lions in texas and they can be taken by any legal means, so im pretty sure thats allowed, any recomendations on the name brand and quality of the e call?

Last edited by phillips11; 08-11-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a few Ecallers that you can order and choose the sounds from a very long list of sounds, to be put on your caller. Fox Pro, Minaska, Western Rivers, Game Tracks, are 4 ecallers that I can think of. Probably can't pre-select the sounds for all of them, not sure. But I know guys that try to call lions every year and they seem to get more responses with lion sounds, then they do with any of the distress sounds. A lot of used callers on the market, so I think you could find a used quality caller with lion sounds on it, and save yourself some money and still get a good unit that will last many years.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:12 PM

sweet thanks, anymore advise on anything? maybe something im missing?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 AM
Spike

Any area with a lot of deer and javalina will have lions.