Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

starting rabbit hunting

Old 08-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Spike

Question starting rabbit hunting

I have a beagle that is a year old. She has shown interest in rabbits and I would like to start rabbit hunting. I have never had an opportunity to go hunting, but someone recommended that I check with a forum about starting rabbit hunting. I am 19 years old and don't know a thing about hunting, because my Dad is not a hunter. I would appreciate any help about training my beagle and what I need to do and get in order to start rabbit hunting. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, but I know I need to get certain things. I'm assuming a 22 is all it would take to bring down a rabbit.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never hunted with dogs.A 22 will kill any rabbit you can hit with it,but since your target is runnin so fast,i would reccommend a pump or auto 12 gauge or 20 gauge shooting high or low brass #6 with a modified choke.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Spike

I agree that a .22 will suffice if you can hit the thing, but you might not hit the thing. I would have to say 12 or 20 gauge is a bit too big for a rabbit though. 28 gauge or .410 is about perfect for them.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Spike

.22 is fine. i use a .22 mag and a 20 guage. when i use a 12 guage it blows the rabbit up.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

get yourself a 410 with 3 inch shells 7 and a half shot .That will work for ya ,that's all i use to hunt rabbits
Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Spike

a 20 ga with 6 shot is as big as you would ever need any bigger and there is not much left of the rabbit. e collar to help you when they show interest in deer or anything else you don't want them on. biggest thing is to give your dog ample opportunity on rabbits and natural ability will come out .22 is really only good for hunting rabbits without a dog. with a dog your not gonna get very many standing shot. good luck and you should do just fine. be carefull around roads. try to hunt as far off of roads as you can because if the rabbit crosses the road your dog is going across too.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Since you never hunted before,
I recomend you hunt rabits on your own without the dog first.
Get yourself comfortable with the firearm, woods, animals your hunting first.
This way you can teach the dog, and not follow it around having it teach you.
Also having a dog out there is another factor increasing the odds of a mishap, don't want to injure your dog as your learning.
With a dog your shooting rabbits on the run.
Using a rifle will make it very difficult to shoot on the run. Will want a shotgun for shooting with a dog.
Others can say which is best, .20 ga is probably biggest you should go.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:08 AM
Spike

If you can hit a rabbit being chased by dogs with a .22 then go try out for Top Shot's next season. I run beagles and usually about 20 a time. Any gauge shotgun will suffice but a 20 or 410 will save your arms from getting tired. I recommend you research running dogs and find someone local who does it. The best thing you can do is put your pup in a pack of already trained beagles and natural instinct will take over. There so much when it comes to running dogs we'd be writing a novel trying to tell you everything so my main advice is find a local hunting club that runs dogs an try to get your foot in the door.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a pretty good pack of beagles here in NOVA, give me a ring & I'll tell you all you need to know about rabbit hunting behind dogs. First off, NO rifles, they're too dangerous. All my rabbit guns are 20 gauges loaded w/ high brass #4s, 5s, or 6s. 2nd we don't jump shoot, it's all about the dogs, I want to hear a good race so anyone that hunts w/ me doesn't load their gun until the dogs are well into the 1st circle. After that, if you have a safe shot, the bunny is fair game!