Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Few questions about hunting..

Old 08-03-2009, 04:41 AM
Spike

Default Few questions about hunting..

I have a couple of questions.

First off I own a Gamo big cat 1200 (air rifle) and I'm a complete novice.

1) Does anyone know of any good general spots to hunt? I went into a woody area and couldn't find a SINGLE squirrel, bird or rabbit (later on this). I live in south NJ so if anyone knows of some good spots hook me up.

2) Is it wrong to hunt small game (such as the critters I mentioned above) if you only hunt to kill but not to eat? I shot and killed a bird earlier today and after I killed it I felt a little remorse. My mom (in all seriousness) told me that it's sinfull (if you don't plan on eating it).

3. I'm planning on getting a red dot because I'm having an impossible time with the scope that came with my gamo big cat 1200. I can't sight it (zero it in) for the life of me. No matter how much I turn the vertical and wind turrets for some reason the point of entry is ALWAYS towards the left. Would it benefit me at all to get say a 30 dollar red dot from dicks?

4) When I shot the bird earlier I was using premier hollow point hunting pellets and the first shot went through the middle of the bird (I'm assuming chest) and it started to fly but it crashed down about 20 feet away. When I went to go inspect it was still breathing so I shot it in the head to kill it. Why did it take 2 shots? Aren't these pellets and the gun I own suppose to do one shot kills? Than later I saw a rabbit and I'm pretty sure I shot it because I saw it jump (or maybe I didn't?) when I went closer it was just breathing really hard and was scared. I shot it again from maybe 6 feet and I dont think I missed but it just ran away, seriously wtf?

Anyways, thats all I can think of right now. Sorry for sounding dumb.
Today, 03:52 AM
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is just my opinion and for whatever it is worth, I agree with your Mom. You shoot it, you eat it.

Unless you are killing critters because they are a destructive nuisance, like the rabbits and chipmunks on my property, the animals you go out of your way to hunt and kill deserve to be used to their fullest.

If you want something that is more challenging to shoot than just paper, balloons are fun. Tie them to a target frame and blast away. On a windy day this can be very challenging. Balloons have the advantage of being cheap targets that build up your marksmanship with no guilt!

Are your scope rings loose? How about their attachment to the rifle? From what you are describing you have

1. Loose rings
2. A scope problem - a possibility with a cheap scope
3. Breathing/trigger control issues.
4. A receiver that is seriously out of alignment - not very likely.

All the best,
~Robert
Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, first of all, you should listen to your mom. Unless you're dealing with vermin, you don't shoot what you won't eat or use (like furbearers). Secondly, I think that you'd better check you state's game laws, because generally speaking there are no small game hunting seasons in the summer time. If it's not hunting season, and you shoot a game animal, then you're a poacher. Real hunters hunt legally. You also need to find out what kind of licenses you need, and if you need to take a hunters safety class, when the hunting season does come around in the fall/winter. Many non-game birds are also illegal to shoot all the time.

If you want a reactive target, they sell reactive airgun targets in a variety of configurations at any sporting goods store. Pop cans are another great and cheap reactive target to shoot at.

As for you scope, some cheap airgun scopes are just that, cheap. I don't know what kind of airgun your is, but I do know that the really cheap scopes don't handle the reversed recoil of spring powered airguns very well. There are good scopes out there that are made, but I'd imagine that they cost a bit more than $30. I also don't know how accurate your air rifle is. Have you tried shooting groups on paper with it at 25 yards or so? I had several airguns when I was a kid, and all but one wouldn't keep every shot on a beer can at 25 yards (I didn't shoot groups in those days).

Mike
Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You also need to find out what kind of licenses you need,
All good points Driftrider.

Here in Arizona, you need to buy a hunting license. This will cover you for rabbits and squirrels. Anything larger IE: deer, you need both a hunting license and a "tag" for the particular game animal you want to hunt. For example Quail requires a hunting license and a migratory bird tag. The tag is then affixed to your license. Some of these tags can be purchased over the counter at authorized retailers: Wal-mart, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc. Big game tags go through a special process known as "the draw."

Your state's game and fish department will have all of this information. Hopefully it will also be online and available for download in a PDF.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

I live in CA. I recently took a hunter safety course with my wife. The first one I've attended. I found out .177 air rifles are illegal for hunting anything requiring a hunting license. I bought a higher end .22 caliber Air Rifle and can drill nails at 100 yards. That was after I couldn't hit anything and figure out quickly the scope was loose. Looks like a sniper rifle with a tactical scope and a break on the end of the barrel. Anything allowed to be hunted with a .22 is legal for this .22 air rifle.