Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

eastern coyote hunting?

Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default eastern coyote hunting?

alright, here is the situation. i have a 140 acers of mixed hardwoods, swamp, cornfield, clearcut ridge, and thick tagelders (spl) that i can hunt and i want to know the best way to go about calling and setting up. this properity is in eastern wisconsin and i heard that yotes dont come into the distress calls as well as they do out west. what is your opinion on this and what can i do to tip the odds in my favor.

and by the way, the coyotes see no pressure other than me, my father, and my uncle hunting deer. as far as i know, no one around us calls yotes at all.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: eastern coyote hunting?

The coyotes in the east come to calling just as good as out west,,, just not as many dogs in the east as there is out west.

If you have never hunted them on this property, assuming there is yotes. Best to wait till fall, and some cool weather. Wait till you get the perfect day light breeze, a day after a good storm. You need to play the breeze in you favor, a yote will" most of the time" try to come in down wind, so you need to set up so you can take a down wind shot, or as they are trying to get down wind. This is important, many dogs do come to callers that never even know they called a dog in.

Start your rabbit or deer distess call very soft, after making a very stelthy entry, no open areas or noisey treelines. first set 15 or 20 seconds soft, work your way up the volume ladder after a few soft sets. In the east we need to call a bit longer than the guys out west. Give it 35 or 40 min. the first time. You need to look for a set of ears or a tail, sometimes thats all you get. If you get a taker you may need to help them in, if they are coming don't give any more, just let them come. If they hold up a lip squeek can get them on there way again. If you do score, don't get up and celebrate just yet, alot of times there is another dog or two, keep calling, even after a shot, you will be supriseed how many times another dog will come in after you just shot the lead dog.

GOOD LUCK
Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: eastern coyote hunting?

Good advise.

One thing to add. Don't give up. If you get suckered on your first day, don't think that you will never call a coyote in. Keep at it. Change things up a bit.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just had a yote barking/howling within a 100 yards of my house last night. I have a farm and chestnut trees in the backyard that the does are at constantly. Is it possible for me to leave my floodlights on and sit on my porch in the dark and call a yote in to the light or am I wasting my time?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Sure, may not happen the first time, or may call 3 in the first time.

Just be ready for them to come in fast, and from anywhere.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Spike

HUNT91, let us know how it went. i live in Shawano, and am looking at trying coyote calling. the property I hunt is in the Big Falls area, west of Clintonville. we have been seeing more and more coyotes each deer season, need to thin the herd abit!