Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Cougars in new york State??????

Old 02-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cougars in new york State??????

ok today me and my buddy were squirrel hunting in Lyndonville NY and we came across a track that was four and a half to five inches wide and about fives inches long and it looked like a big cat track and far too big to be a dog track and it looked like a cougar that i have seen in books but im not sure.... maybe someone to could help me out???

thanks, you can go to http://www.camospace.com/NYhunter325

and click on the photos
Old 02-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cougars in new york State??????

Can you get a picture of the track?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

youcan go to the link and look at the picture of the track its hard to see at first but its there
Old 02-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Tell ya what, it looks very similar, is it in ice? Did you notice the stride it had? Sure would be nice to have a close up.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Yea it was in ice the stride was was like 3 feet between long steps and 3 to 4 inches between the short step and and how far apart the tracks were from each other it seemed to be walking slow and there were other tracks in the mudd but they were really hard to see and they kept going for almost a quarter mile then we lost the trail the tracks seemed to be like a big cat so me and my buddy are setting up trail cameras around that area to catch it moving around and do you kno if they have a territory or do they just move on the where the food is or what ever they are looking for?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

looks like an old coyotte you they can get big if think its a cat i might be a pet like the one found on the side near i think it was camden i think these being back in the state is a load of crap
Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

might be a cougar but probally just a big old coyote!
Old 02-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, They do have a very large territory, A male most especially 100sq mi or more. And that is just it, probably going to be a long time before it ever comes back, if it does. Still a good idea to put the camera though.

Sooner or later, there's going to be pictures in your state, and many other states on the east coast.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

like if they are in new york do you kno if like we are aloud to shoot them if it walks by our stands or is considered protected by the state of new york?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

No, not a good idea, only if your life was in danger would that work. If I was you, I would talk to a biologist in your area. Tell him what you found, and show him the picture.

Quick Reply: Cougars in new york State??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.